Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60's 340 intake - I have a 70s 318 and 360.  This will be a direct bolt, right?  It doesn't look like spread bore to me but my experience is pretty limited, i.e., to the rides I have...TIA for your help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Check the port sizes. I think some of the early 340s had smaller ports. If it's a '68 intake, that was the first year for the 340. It is a square bore intake, I think an AFB was the stock carb.

Here is a pic of the '68 Dart GTS 340 4 speed my parents bought new in '68.

After a broken cam and other issues with the 340, and the dealer not standing behind it, it was sold off a year later.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
and even the choke pull off is available . 

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am the new owner of this - it has same ports as the 360's 2bbl manifold, FYI. 

I think I'm going to put it on the 78 W150 318 that's a 2bbl now.  Going to put a Holley Brawler 570cfm on it then if all goes according to plan.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Test fit the carb before bolting it down.  I know with some of the old stock intakes we had some issues with the butterflies not opening due to them hitting the smaller holes in the intake or the linkage hanging up on the sides.  When that happened we used a 1/2" or 3/4" carb spacer and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to use a carb spacer anyway.  With the 10% ethanol fuel they have here and the lower boil point it's just cheap insurance for me against vapor lock.  I would have never thought about the butterflies hitting - INCREDIBLE wealth of knowledge, my friend!

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Thanks, occasionally I'm even right.  ;D  Pity I can't earn any money with this knowledge as it's not exactly in demand outside of our hobby.  Instead I spend my days elbow deep in a Cat C15 trying to find an intermittent noise.  Unfortunately for my friend who owns the truck, I found the cause today.  :-\

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i guess i got a 1/2" spacer on my truck but i never had an issue with the holley vapor locking or boiling the ethanol out but then again with the size of the float bowls i don't think it would be an issue compared to something like a carter or quadrajet with the small float bowls. heck the holley that use to be on my truck would start just as good without prime after sitting 10 hours in the sun on a hot summer day as it would if it sat for 2 minutes as i ran into the grocery store. it would also start just as good if not better than most fuel injected vehicles under same conditions.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.