Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I was looking for the right tires for my Ramcharger. Since the stock tires/wheels were fine for the street I decided to go with some all out mud terrains because I could just swap to my street tires when I'm done wheeling. And whats more extreme then a Swamper? They needed to be cheap (because i'm a burger flipper!), they needed to be good, and they needed to fit with no lift. So I looked around for a while and the best choice looked like the 33X13.5"15R Swamper LTB. They cost $122.99 each at 4wheelparts.com (SKU# SSTLTB-04). They had one of their free shipping specials so It came out to just under $500, a good price for any 33's nevermind swampers. I then looked in the classifieds and picked up 5 almost brand new 15x8" AR-767 wheels for $100. Then I took them to Town Fair and got them mounted/balanced ($10 a piece) and I was ready to go for about $640 total.
On the street the tires are loud, bumpy, get flatspots when you park , and when the street is wet they skid easily. But, thats what I expected. They have a soft compound so the flat spots go away after a minute or two and if the road is dry they grip well.
The first offroad test was at Nepaug State Park in Torrington, CT. There's mostly all mellow stuff their but we did find some mud and stuff (full pics of the trip at my site). While we were there I decided to be an idiot and drive in this little muddy ditch beside the trail and we hit a big sharp submerged rock going like 20 mph and put a 1" hole in the sidewall! Its amazing, first time I take these things offroad I ruin one, and those arn't thin sidewalls. Their heavy duty 4 ply sidewalls, yet I managed to mess one up.
Anyways, I got that 4wheelparts tire waranty when I bought them (got the special $48 instead of $74), so all I had to do is send it back and they sent me a replacement for free (but their free shipping is sooooo slow).
Next I took the truck up to Massachusetts many times and they do great, in some cases better then BOGGER35's boggers (and he has a locker).
So overall I love em, their just what I wanted and allow me to do some tougher trails with the Mass. guys. Definatly a good buy if you want some small, cheap, extreme offroad tires. Hopefully by the time I wear them out and I want new tires Interco will start making them in bigger sizes.

My site: http://79ramcharger.tk/
Interco LTB: http://intercotire.com/html/ltb.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
are you still running the LTB's just wondering how you liked after a few miles and trails. I thinking of running 34x10.5's on my 85 RC

·
Registered
756 Posts
i was also curious what you still thought of them. I wanna sell my ground hawgs off from my ramcharger, and buy some ltb's

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I liked them a lot. I ran them for a few more months, and I also had them on my Power Wagon for a while. Then in winter I was strapped for cash and I sold them. But yeah, they were great offroad, but onroad they were real loud and made a lot of vibration. It was worth it for me, but probably not a great idea for a daily driver.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
what do you have them on and how fast do they wear? They are dirt cheap, nearly half the price as comparable aggressive tread tires the same size. I was thinking about running 6 on my 01 cummins dually, but if they will only last 3 months I don't want to. If they last 1/2 as long as BFG's that is fine, since they are half the price :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
i believe they are worth the money, if you take care of them i'm sure you'll get 17-23K out of those LTB's. the word on the streets is that the LTB's are softer than regular TSL's. my roommate with the zuki samurai has gotten about 25K out of his 34 10.50 LTB's. he has no HP and no weight....

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
hmm, I would have alot of weight. Main reason I like the LTB's is they have pretty much the tallest tire in a 10.5 wide tire. I can't go wider then 10.5 since I have a dually, and I don't want to run spacers or get new wheels made.

I would really like some 36x10.5 or 37x10.5. I have really thought about the 38.5x11 boggers, but I think that is too tall for what I need. And I would probably have to end up running spacers anyway.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
yeah the SSR's are almost twice as much as the LTB's :) All terrains suck, I will never put them on one of my trucks :) Besides, their 10.5" wheel is only 31" tall, which is about what I have on the truck right now anyways.

I found some michelin XZL (?) and XL that would work perfect, but they freaking have a max speed of 62 mph. I can't live with that. Price is right for them too, which really sucks.

So looks like it will be LTB's or SSR's for me.

·
5,141 Posts
I plan on buying these tires for my Samurai when I wear out the ones that are on it now.

From what I have read they are great tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
you can special order BFG mud terrains in a 35x10.50

·
Registered
365 Posts
is the ltb more aggresive than the tsl? 

which last longer a tsl or ltb?

anybody know why the ltb is so cheap?

Dave

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
I found some michelin XZL (?) and XL that would work perfect, but they freaking have a max speed of 62 mph. I can't live with that. Price is right for them too, which really sucks.
where did it say 62mph max? i was driving on the highway everyday with a set of XZLs. those tires have seen atleast 3 years of daily use even on the 140* asphault. as a matter of fact i ran over a 1" bolt that pierced right through the tread. 6 months later the head was worn off but it was still stuck in there and the tire never once leaked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts