Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed a 4" lift on my 79 rc and im running on stocks right now. im getting ready to buy tires and i want to know what size you guys are running and what performs, looks best.  it is an occasional driver to work. factory 323 gears.  360 stock motor.  some trails and moderate offroad with factory axles, fulltime.    i'll take opinions, pics, etc... thanks!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got an '82 W150 with a 5" lift, 323 gears and I'm running 35s with a little fender rub up front, but I think that's due to the fact that I'm running 10" wide rims with about 4" of offset. My guess is you'll be fine. What rims do you plan on using?

·
Premium Member
13,530 Posts
I'm a big Mickey Thompson fan.  If you're looking for a really good street/all-terrain tire I'd recommend the ATZs.  If you want something a bit more aggressive then I'd step up to the MTZs.  Look great and the added bonus of performing great.  I'm biased with MTs.  Others will be towards other tires.  just sayin'... ;)

- Sam

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would really like to find a set of the original wagon wheels painted black, i've seen them called jackman wheels.  if not i'll prob get some square d's or something pretty basic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should be fine then. I had an 88 Bronco with a 2" body lift, and I was runnin 35x14x15r Thornbirds with the original wagon wheels. I also painted them black, they look pretty cool like that. I had minimal fender rub up front. I'd go with 35x12.5 just to be safe though. If you find a set of rims and have to paint them yourself, I'd suggest Krylon semi-gloss black. It never flaked off, even when I pressure washed mudd off of them:]

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
FYI, Jackman was a brandname of a wheel manufacturer. Not sure when they went out of business, but it's been a long time now. BTW Jackman wheels were a very nice affordable wheel back in their day.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've run 33's and 35's on 15x10s with 4" backspacing on my RC with the 4" rough country lift and have had no issues, but I did open up my front wheel wells when I first got it in order to fit 33's with no lift.

I personally thought that the 33's looked too small, so I sold them and swapped the 35's (that I already had) onto the rims. Before that I had the 35's on 15x8 Cragar Soft-8s. They fit just fine as well but looked goofy because they were set so far into the wheel wells.

I guess what I have to say doesn't help much except that if you go with 35's you may get some rubbing which can be cured with some trimming

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think im going 35, i can stand to do a little trimming to fix some rust!!!  i really like the jackman wheels and the factory wheels that were spokes.  all the new spokes just dont have the same tough look in my opinion!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curous as to what tires you're gopnna run.

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on my 86 d150 i have 4"spring lift in front and d60 front with lift springs in the rear to match. i am running wrangler duratracs (315/75/16) and i love them... i would like to run the same tires on the rc except they dont go bigger than 33's in a 15" rim.  i just dont have a ton of funds to buy wheels and tires because i have a baby coming in less than a month!  so i'll have to get 35  15's on the factories for now and get rims later...all that being said, i'm really looking for a good deal.  besides the duratracs i've ran goodyear all terrains, nitto terra grapplers and coursers listed in order of preference.  i'm looking for an mt to add to the list though

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
When you can afford a bigger rim try these guys. heck might even be able to buy rims and tires. Trust me thier good tires. Been running them for years and no problems {cool}
http://www.treadwright.com/Default.aspx
I was going to get the 37s but a GREAT deal on some military 37s came along and I had the cash

1 - 12 of 12 Posts