Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here we go. On the way home from work last night, pulled out,(in front of a truck) got on it to get out its way, shifted outta 2nd @ 3800, stayed in it, then at bout 3k in 3rd gear it just bogged, I backed off of it came right back. It was time for a tune up so did that. Bluestreak cap and rotor, Champion plugs, Accel 8.8 wires. Put it all back together, no start. Referred back to my manual, according it the pic in the book, I was dead on #1 cylinder. So I decided to do it the right way, pulled #1 plug, found TDC and went from there, started up like a champ and idled great as it always did. Went out for a test drive, and all the way to 3800 in 2nd, and couldnt pull 3rd or 4th past 3k. Now when i found the #1 plug on my cap it ended up being 4 terminals away from where the book had it running with the distributor rotation.

I felt the dist shaft to see if there was any play, didnt notice any. Is the timing chain wore out and the previous owner had to take it that far out to get it run. Is the dist 180 out? Where do I start fellas?

btw, the carb is a fresh rebuilt holley 2bl. the plugs looked ok, just well worn, same for the cap and rotor that came off.

As always thanks in advance for all your knowledge!

bill

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
muddyforeman, sounds like you may have a slipped/stripped timing chain. best way to check is to rotate the crank back and fourth to see how much movement at the crank before the dist starts to move. (you will prob need another set of hands/eyes) most times though it would run like crap, unless the po has compensated (as you said) by moving wires on the dist. you checked tdc (was this on the compression stroke? another question -- did the timing marks line up at tdc? good luck --sheriff--

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just set the dist. up to number 1#(pull plug again) and it check for play in the timing chain.Bar the engine over about 1/4 turn both ways and watch the rotor to see how much it moves.Make sure the wires are not crossed.(we all do it).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No wires crossed, It idles and runs below 3k too well to be a crossed wire. Starts on the first hit every time. I ll pull it back apart tommorrow and rotate the crank, and watch the dist. I did nt check to see where the timing mark was at TDC. Hey Sheriff good to see a local guy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts