Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need to replace one head on my 318, I was told to look for '74 or so cob car heads???
What casting numbers should they have?

or is there any other good head out there?
I DONTneed horse power, I almost always use low rev and torque. (towing trailers)

and please don't come with go to bigger engines, I can't find them here, rare as hens teeth', its 318 I've to deal with.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
how available are 2nd gen dodges there? 318 magnums have a better performing head. you would just need a carbed intake and a electric fuel pump or parts to install a mechanical fuel pump. the stock 318 magnum heads are prone to cracking but there are aftermarket ones that are not too expensive. 

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Magnum heads are the best stock head.  Aftermarket heads are a whole other deal.  They can be good, others can barely flow as much as a stock Magnum.  Other aftermarket heads are excellent but are pointless on a stock engine, and probably pointless on a 318.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
area51 said:
Hi Kurt,

are you sure they're not racing, as in high HP, heads?
Well there are quite a few options there.
I would say the lower priced ones are not "racing heads".
None of them would be considered racing heads. Just ones for upgraded cams, compression ratio, intakes, etc.
They're reconditioned stockers... if I read that right.
You also have options with bigger valves.
I wouldn't go that way with a stock 318 anyways.
Those ARO-CY-SB318 look to be a decent deal for you... 1968-1987 318 A Engine heads. 1.88 x 1.60 Stainless valves (2.02 intake valve not available) 67-70 CC open chamber design. .509" lift springs And at $399.00 for a pair... not bad for a nice set of rebuilt heads with quality parts.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
These guys are pretty nice too... https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-EngineQuest-Mopar-Magnum-Cylinder-Heads/3295951/10002/-1
They have some really nice features like a choice of "Magnum" intake bolt patterns or "LA" intake bolt patterns.
And they have closed chambered quench areas... more compression!
All the Mopar magazines in the last few years have done some really nice articles on these "Engine Quest" heads.
They might cost you more... but they flow better being the Magnum design.
And did I mention MORE COMPRESSION... a torque builder there.
Of course, you probably need to run more octane with them.
Wasn't the title of your thread here "what heads are the most powerfull?" ;D

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,147 Posts
What year is your 318? Just replace it with the same as what you have on the other side or your engine won't run properly. You want uniformity among all cylinders. A stock replacement or factory 318 head shouldn't be to hard to find online or even somewhere over there. Old 318's were basically all the same. They weren't like the 340 or 360 or even the 273. They were always designed as an economy engine but 318's can be a decent work horse as well. Mine pulls my 17ft boat up hills no problem. (But then again, mine has 360 heads and a Comp Cam and Edelbrock intake with HEI ignition on it and dual exhaust. Lol)

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I agree with the need for the same head on both banks part .But  the size of the valves and shape of combustion chambers is where the difference is between 273/old 318 and newer L/A 318's . it can be plainly seen when comparing . if you find a used matched set , any L/A head will bolt on , smaller combustion chambers will give more compression / power . Magnum heads use a different rocker oiling system ,and intake style, can be used but require modifications .

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
the magnum heads requiring so much mods to work on the la block is part of the reason i was thinking to just swap a complete magnum engine in. plus that way you would have the added benefit of being able to have a larger output alternator. plus if you really wanted you could always keep fuel injection which would give you both more power and better drive ability 

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
area51 said:
I DONTneed horse power, I almost always use low rev and torque. (towing trailers)

and please don't come with go to bigger engines, I can't find them here, rare as hens teeth', its 318 I've to deal with.
Just as an FYI. RPM and Torque IS horsepower. What you really want is that power to be strong at lower rpm, but it's very difficult to increase power at lower rpm with a smaller displacement. Normally to make more power with less displacement is either need to spin the revs or force feed it (turbo or supercharger) This when larger displacement becomes more attractive.

You can certainly try better breathing heads, change the cam or any number of other mods, but the gains won't be great because you're still working with smaller displacement and it will burn only so much fuel. If there was one suggestion I can offer to improve that low end grunt, I'd suggest you go with lower gears and then if you still want better heads, build the engine to spin a bit. Lower gears with some engine spin will be a good combo

Ed

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You say most powerful but I believe that is not what you are looking for. 302 or 714 casting,(714 is same as 302) swirl Port heads, heart-shaped combustion chamber. that is what you're looking for most bang for low buck. they should also up your compression a little bit Never do one head do both. If you get a set of reman heads or any heads for that matter even the high $ ones they should be thoroughly checked before you install them. Check for leaks past the valves Etc. and I would even hand lap the valves in.😎

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi  Bart like most of people say  just go 302 heads or  magnum swap  i am  currently  working on magnum heads swap for a 318. Seems a lot  of work but fairly doable and  parts are needed :  intake, hollow pushrods, amc  lifters  4 barrel carb Looks like it's more easy to drop a magnum engine. you can come to my place to see the swap or even buy one from a 93/98  Grand Cherokee there is some for sale advertised  on"le bon coin"

·
Registered
904 Posts
crazzywolfie said:
the magnum heads requiring so much mods to work on the la block is part of the reason i was thinking to just swap a complete magnum engine in. plus that way you would have the added benefit of being able to have a larger output alternator. plus if you really wanted you could always keep fuel injection which would give you both more power and better drive ability
pfft… not all that much involved, been tehre/done it.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
volaredon said:
pfft… not all that much involved, been tehre/done it.
just because it can be done doesn't mean it is the best way to do it. best to just stick a complete magnum engine in there instead of a Frankensteining an engine. keeps things super simple if you ever need parts or to sell it instead of trying to remember what parts you used.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
crazzywolfie said:
just because it can be done doesn't mean it is the best way to do it. best to just stick a complete magnum engine in there instead of a Frankensteining an engine. keeps things super simple if you ever need parts or to sell it instead of trying to remember what parts you used.
Oh yeah.
I have a page full of parts list of the things I need to keep track of on my truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.