Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Had my lower rad hose go out. Pretty sure it was the original. So 35 years isn’t bad haha.

Had a replacement ready since it was on my list to do as it looked suspect. Blew out before I got to it.

Anyway, I got the new hose on and it started leaking. I noticed I hadn’t put it up the neck high enough so just yesterday I moved it up and clamped the hose back down. I can only use a flat head here since I can’t fit a drill in there.

Both times I started the truck up and let it run about 5-10 mins with no leaks. Then came back to it the next day with a huge puddle.

Im pretty sure it’s just the clamp and it’s not sealing on the back side of the neck that I can’t see.

if this sounds familiar to another issue. Let me know. Going to have another go at it this early this week.

Any tips for getting more leverage on hose clamps in areas with not a lot of space?

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
Does the hose fit on snug or is it kinda loose and sloppy? There are two different sized water pump outlets. Make sure the hose goes on fairly tight and always use new clamps and always make sure they are snug tight - don't reef on them but nice and snug.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the hose fit on snug or is it kinda loose and sloppy? There are two different sized water pump outlets. Make sure the hose goes on fairly tight and always use new clamps and always make sure they are snug tight - don't reef on them but nice and snug.
Its definitely very tight on the neck already even before clamping it down. It’s a brand new clamp. I’m thinking it’s just not quite flush and cockeyed a bit on the backside so it doesn’t seal correctly.

I’ll give it another go and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
Maybe take a Scotchbrite pad to the area where the hose goes on. Sometimes it gets corroded around there and makes getting the new hose on more difficult.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
If you have a clamp that is too big, it may not seal right, is can bend and kink the hose, instead of closing down around the hose.

Crawl under and take a lot of pics, and look close A pinhole can leak a good bit, but not easy to actually see it leaking. taking your time and looking zoomed in on the computer is easier to find the leak. I had a leak where the timing cover meets the block, I had a hard time figuring out where it was until it got bigger.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a clamp that is too big, it may not seal right, is can bend and kink the hose, instead of closing down around the hose.

Crawl under and take a lot of pics, and look close A pinhole can leak a good bit, but not easy to actually see it leaking. taking your time and looking zoomed in on the computer is easier to find the leak. I had a leak where the timing cover meets the block, I had a hard time figuring out where it was until it got bigger.
Good idea. Will try this.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
You can also post some on here, we have several members that are good at spotting things that are wrong.

Reactions: thegrid22593

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
most likely corrosion on the WP outlet or l have seen them rotted out from corrosion

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
comming out weep hole dripping off lowest point .... ? yep pix's required

·
Registered
29,341 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wasn't a huge leak before you changed the hise.

Was a huge leak after you changed the hose.

It's the hose connection. Or its an amazing coincidence that you suffered a second catastrophic failure at exactly the same moment your hose blew. Unless you drove it a long way AFTER the hose blew then why would we suspect a bad pump or timing cover?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts