Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last two posts were easy fixes, so i might as well try for the hat trick.. i have an 85 rc 318, auto, quadrajet 2barrel carb, The car accelerates smooth as long as i don't give it to much gas, if i push the pedal down too fast or far, it wants to die, bogs out, doesn't stall completely if i ease off the gas a little. The car has had this problem since i bought it a few weeks ago, and i have replaced both the inline fuel filter, and the barrel filter in the carb itself. i have put new plugs, air filter, basic things.  Also it will sometimes try and pull on itself when i'm at a traffic light, it doesn't do it all the time, but occasionally.  It feels like it's trying to go, i have to hold the brake pedal firmly to keep from moving. I thought maybe the two were connected.  When i pulled the air filter and worked the throttle manually i noticed that the two large butterfly flaps (don't know the proper terms) on the top of the carb don't move at all, even when i rev it to high rpms...

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
nojos said:
i have...quadrajet 2barrel carb
Is that a typo? I thought quadrajets were all 4 barrels. {think}

Just trying to get a proper carb ID nojos. Quadrajunk's have their own set of issues, as do the infamous 2-barrel Holleys. They can both cause those symptoms, but the "fix" will be a little different depending on what you have under the hood. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, typo for sure.. four barrel, thanks

G

·
The bogging sounds like a bad accel pump on the carb. That's the first thought, anyway. You're probably due for a carb rebuild.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i probably am,  i was hoping it was something simple..  I thought maybe it was a vaccum problem, as the auto tranny seems to shift a little weird, shifts up to quick, down to slow, i know vaccum problems can manifest themselves in a lot of different ways, just from reading through different posts here.. i might as well just rebuild it and see what happens, at least i'll be able to cross one thing off the list of possibilities..

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Don't jump into a carb rebuild just yet. Check your fuel lines for proper pressure, give the carb a good cleaning, run some seafoam through the gas, and change the fuel filters again.  You could have a pinched line, dying fuel pump, or stuck throttle plate causing those symptoms. 

·
29,540 Posts
In addition to what has been said, the secondary air door that you say isn't opening, won't open except under heavy load and high RPM. You're not likely to duplicate that scenario while parked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, thanks, i wasn't sure about that.. good to know. tommorrow i am going to try an adjustment to the secondary valves just to see what happens, like i said before, the truck runs and accelerates fine except when floored, so it seems like those valves could be the culprit if they only come into play with a lot of foot on the pedal, and an easy fix if thats the problem, can't really hurt to try i don't think... or am i wrong?.. i found a step by step tutorial on the web with pictures, which help me alot because i don't know the proper names for all the parts...  i'm getting a little better every time i fix something though, so it's a start...!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts