Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
conversion is over..  {win}

as most know I transplanted a 360 into my 88 D 100 shorty. The 88 started life as a 318 TBI with a NP 435 trans. I used a 87 360 converted it to TBI and hung a 727 behind it.
{beer}
We got it running but something was amiss. {think}

As luck has it my buddy is a Dodge truck nut as well. Between the 2 of us we have a vast assortment of parts. ;D

We tested the assorted sensors and all checked out. Finally seemed to be closer, engine ran ok but didnt seem quite right.

The truck would run like a scalded cat with the CTS unhooked but stumbled, stuttered badly when the CTS was hooked up.. The "Sticky" cheat sheet says bad Hall Effect,  ok, had a diff dist, ran the same. Went to parts house and 40 + dollars spent went back to work. OH crap that didnt help.  {flame}WTF

Back to the basics,  rechecked again, decided that altho the CTS checked ok (yes Joe we used the multi meter)  the hot resultes wernt quite right. {bawl} about ready to call the  {pope} back to the parts store.  Installed the new CTS,, oh my god this is sounding and running better. even decided to add a big ground wire from the pass motor mount to the frame.  helps but still off. 

Hooked up the timing light and looked at the injector spray pattern.  one was drooling/dripping .. Pulled the injectors out.  .  They were mismatched. (came that way to me from Florida.  :eek:

Dug into the parts stahs, found a set of confirmed 360 injectors and intaleed them.

What a difference. good idle, cold and hot starts were great.

OK time for the 25 mile  trip to the emissions station. {stickhorse} Informed the attendant that it was 318 to 360 conversion.  5 minuits later was informed that they hadnt seen a vehicle of my vintage pas with such good results in a long time.  {win}
I could hardly contain my self..
Other than the bad injectors I cant honestly tell if the CTS or Hall Effect sensors  were  actually a problem,,, but I think the extra ground helped ...  {cruise}

·
Registered
904 Posts
I didnt think that WA state was an "emission test required" state.
Everyone complains about Kali; but what I saw in Nevada when I was there, certainly makes me glad I don't live there; (though I really liked the scenery)  "smog check" places at least one every block; cant get  license plates w/o a "PASS";

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,  in the larger metro areas emissions is required on all vehicles that are 25 years old or less in age  years old.  The one nice thing is that its a sniffer/gas cap test, no visual. 

1 - 3 of 3 Posts