Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the brackets off of my 318 and went to bolt them on to my new 360 and found out that the driver's side motor mount bracket, (That bolts to the block), required a "spacer" of about 1/2" to make up the difference in space between the mounting pad on the rear flange, (Where the single bolt goes.)

No big deal, I had some thick wall tube stock laying around so I fabbed one, locktited the nut/bolt, installed the 2 bolts in the front mount, and checked everything dimensionally and it all matches the 318 that came out, (ie; the motor mount stud in the k-frame should line up in the slot just fine), when I reinstall the engine in the frame. The FSM doesn't show or address this. Are there actually 2 different types / styles of brackets? Has anyone else encountered this?

Like I said dimensionally it looks like it will fit and work fine. Just curious.

Dave

·
5,684 Posts
318 and 360 have different motor mounts. Youll have to go find some 360 metal bracket motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
when i put my 360 in (1982 block), i had 1 set of 318 mount brackets, and 1 set of 360 brackets...both from 70's engines.

For some reason, one of the 360 brackets wouldn't work, so i had to use one 318, and one 360 for it to bolt up correctly. If i remember correctly, it should be 19" from the eye of the bracket (where the rubber mount bolts on) to where the transmission bellhousing bolts up. I'm thinking something changed through the years...so you might have to hunt a bit for some brackets for this to work.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly, (I'm an aviation machinist by trade), I took the dimensions from the front of both of the blocks, (ie; the ears where the front tab to motor mount bracket locates on the driver's side of the block), and dimensionally they're the same. The only difference is that the rear tab to motor mount attach point had about 3/8" gap. Otherwise the stud mounting "slot" is in the same place. So I quickly fashioned a machined spacer to fill this gap, installed a slightly longer bolt, and all indications are that it should line right up, as the slot is in the same place. I'll be doing the install next weekend, (Trans is going to the shop today for overhaul), so I'll let everybody on the board know how this works out, but I'd be awful suprised if it doesn't work. All the measurements I've taken says it should. I will take the reference (19") dimension too as a double check too.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts