Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 88 r/c with a 318 roller that needs the timing set replaced. I also have a like new Clevite #3002 timing set from an older style hydraulic cam 318.

Will it interchange or is there a difference between roller and hydraulic motors?

Old Jerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
the only dif should be the lifters and pushrods. The rest is the same 'ol same 'ol. the '88 is a pre-magnum version. It has the older style heads with the 5-bolt valve covers. Magnum has 10-bolts. The timing sets should interchange no problem.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
756 Posts
yea i had the plastic ones on my 84 r/c when i bought it, i was out doing some fourwheeling and jumped timing. i took it apart, and all the teeth on the top gear were chowed right off

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
the timing chain should interchange no problem between ALL pre-magnum small blocks. i just put a 318 timing chain into m y 360 and it went no problems....

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Actually all early hemi, LA and Magnum timing chains will interchange. The crank gear is a little tight on the Magnums but putting the gear in an oven cures that real easy.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I can tell you i had a 5.9 magnum that wasn't hardly stretched at 184K. But on older engines with nylon teeth you should consider it between 100-120K miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts