Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I've got a 1990 dodge w150 that's coming up on 300,000kms (180,000 Miles) and starting to smoke pretty bad. Anyways I've got this idea in my head of buying a cheap 1994-2002 1500, dakota, or durango with a good strong running 360 and swapping engines. This way I get the computer and wiring harnesses etc. In my head I feel this would be a fairly easy swap but am probably forgetting about lots of stuff haha. My transmission is an a-518 and from what I've read there should be no problem bolting on as long as 360 torque converter is used due to 360 being externally balanced? Just not sure how overdrive would be controlled? Will my existing fuel system work and will 360 computer be able to control fuel pump? Stuff like motor mounts, rad hoses, exhaust should all be the same I'm assuming? What is needed to make gauges work? Do they run off computer?

Anyways any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to know every single thing that's different with going to the magnum style. I don't want any surprises if I do it.  Budget is a large factor because I'm only 16  :p

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
magnumswap.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ToxicDoc said:
magnumswap.com
Thanks for that website. Clears up a lot of my questions. I am wondering if the donor vehicle is 4x4 would I be able to bolt my transfer case onto that transmission? I guess a better question is what what are the differences between the a518 and the 46re or 46rh? Not sure what trans would come in donor vehicle. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
thats site has OK info but absolutely NO wiring help to keep it a Mag motor [stock factory BEER Barrel intake system]
Yes, but it gives a lot of volume that we won't have to repeat by typing. When he gets more specific questions we can answer those.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This is a straight forward swap, but I would not have been prepared to do it when I was 16.  Now that thats out of the way.....

If I was you:
1. Engine mounts can be used off the 318.  Drivers side will need a spacer, like a 1/2-20 nut
2. Use your 1990 trans.  Will need a 5.9 magnum specific convertor because of the balance. BUT BE AWARE they changed where the balance weight was in 1997 from flexplate to convertor so dont double up.  You will need to notch the bellhousing in your 1990 trans for the crank sensor. 
3. Fuel system use your 1990 tank but use a fuel pump module from your year donor.  1990 was the first year the tank hole was standardized (88-89 used a stainless clmap, where 1990 and later used the plastic screw type retainer.  Keep in mind Chrysler liked to finish things off from a previous module year so a early 1990 may have a 89 tank. Injectors changed thru the years from 1992-2003.  Match the injectors to account for the fuel pressure.  I think 1998 and up had 49 psi.  You going to need to modify the fuel lines quite a bit.  Rubber line and hose clamps aint OK with 49 psi.
4.  Exhaust: headers or not, your going to need a custom exhaust. 
5.  Wiring will be your biggest challenge by far.  You WILL need a factory service manual for 1990 and your donor year.  It is quite intense trying to get a OBD 2 system into these trucks and making it work.  THis link is by far the best model for what you want to do. 

Plan on about 2000 bucks minimum

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jerseybud said:
This is a straight forward swap, but I would not have been prepared to do it when I was 16. Now that thats out of the way.....

If I was you:
1. Engine mounts can be used off the 318. Drivers side will need a spacer, like a 1/2-20 nut
2. Use your 1990 trans. Will need a 5.9 magnum specific convertor because of the balance. BUT BE AWARE they changed where the balance weight was in 1997 from flexplate to convertor so dont double up. You will need to notch the bellhousing in your 1990 trans for the crank sensor.
3. Fuel system use your 1990 tank but use a fuel pump module from your year donor. 1990 was the first year the tank hole was standardized (88-89 used a stainless clmap, where 1990 and later used the plastic screw type retainer. Keep in mind Chrysler liked to finish things off from a previous module year so a early 1990 may have a 89 tank. Injectors changed thru the years from 1992-2003. Match the injectors to account for the fuel pressure. I think 1998 and up had 49 psi. You going to need to modify the fuel lines quite a bit. Rubber line and hose clamps aint OK with 49 psi.
4. Exhaust: headers or not, your going to need a custom exhaust.
5. Wiring will be your biggest challenge by far. You WILL need a factory service manual for 1990 and your donor year. It is quite intense trying to get a OBD 2 system into these trucks and making it work. THis link is by far the best model for what you want to do.

Plan on about 2000 bucks minimum
Thank you very much this is exactly the answer I was looking for! I changed the fuel pump awhile back and if I remember correctly I have the steel band. So that should work nice. I've got long tube headers and custom exhaust. Header has O2 sensor bung as well so I don't see how this wouldn't work? As far as wiring I like doing that sort of thing so maybe if I've got the Fsm I can probably figure it out. Anything wrong with using a Durango as a donor? Thanks again
https://www.sgi.sk.ca/lcgi/salvage_bid_site/comp_details.cgi?stock_num=N192589&store=North%20Battleford

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
He will not need a custom exhaust. He can use 92 5.2 or 93 5.2/5.9 parts (if he can find them). Those came with Magnum engines.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
let me clarify a little
1. steel band type tank will not work. 92- up fuel modules will not fit. AND be sure to match the fuel module with the wiring pigtail. Chrysler changed that in 96.
2. the only exhaust part availalble for the 92-93 trucks now is the tailpipe, muffler and intermmediate pipe. The y pipe and cat will need to be from a junkyard or made. Eastern doesnt even offer the 2wd version of their cat whch I used to cut and weld into something that fit the 4wd.

I meant to include this link last night
https://ramchargercentral.com/projects/1978-w150-now-with-obd2-magnum-swap-colorado-emissions-legal/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jerseybud said:
let me clarify a little
1. steel band type tank will not work. 92- up fuel modules will not fit. AND be sure to match the fuel module with the wiring pigtail. Chrysler changed that in 96.
2. the only exhaust part availalble for the 92-93 trucks now is the tailpipe, muffler and intermmediate pipe. The y pipe and cat will need to be from a junkyard or made. Eastern doesnt even offer the 2wd version of their cat whch I used to cut and weld into something that fit the 4wd.

I meant to include this link last night
https://ramchargercentral.com/projects/1978-w150-now-with-obd2-magnum-swap-colorado-emissions-legal/
Thanks for clarifying about the fuel tank. I've got access to a few parts trucks I'm sure I'll be able to make something work.

Could someone explain to me why I'll need a different exhaust? As of now I've got long tube hooker headers and true dual 2 1/4 exhaust. I read my headers will bolt onto the magnum heads. I don't have to worry about cats and my passenger side header collector has an o2 bung. Thanks

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Then you'll be OK.  That will fit

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jerseybud said:
You going to need to modify the fuel lines quite a bit. Rubber line and hose clamps aint OK with 49 psi.
Could you elaborate on this? I have zero experience with anything other than plain old rubber fuel line. I'm assuming I'll need steel braided line? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
Tm1990 said:
Could someone explain to me why I'll need a different exhaust? As of now I've got long tube hooker headers and true dual 2 1/4 exhaust. I read my headers will bolt onto the magnum heads. I don't have to worry about cats and my passenger side header collector has an o2 bung. Thanks
If you're using headers, then you'll have a custom exhaust regardless. If you were using stock-type exhaust, the Magnum manifolds are placed differently and their Y-pipe had a 2-year-only design.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The early 5.2  magnums used a return style fuel injection system.  5/16 feed line and 5/16 back but the feed line had 3/8 ends.  3/16 vapor line in the bundle too.  Uses Chrysler fuel injection fittings to terminate the connections to handle the pressure

Your 1990 uses a return style system but has 5/16 feed and 1/4 return.  Also uses rubber hose to terminate the ends. 

There are several ways to to do this:
1. buy 5/16 nylon and make your own fuel lines- Napa stores sell the nylon and fittinfs as does o reailly and advance.

2. Go to the junkyard and poach lines from a parts trucks, but these are usually dirty or rusty or both

3, Open up the wallet and use PTFE an-6 hose and ends and make your own bundle- quite expensive to do this.

BUT thats only if you use a retunr style system and the 96 up dont use that-  Just a feed line in which case, use  a nylon line  from tank to midpoint, near the trans crossmember and then using the an-6 stainles PTFE lone with heat insulation  to the fuel rail

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jerseybud said:
The early 5.2 magnums used a return style fuel injection system. 5/16 feed line and 5/16 back but the feed line had 3/8 ends. 3/16 vapor line in the bundle too. Uses Chrysler fuel injection fittings to terminate the connections to handle the pressure

Your 1990 uses a return style system but has 5/16 feed and 1/4 return. Also uses rubber hose to terminate the ends.

There are several ways to to do this:
1. buy 5/16 nylon and make your own fuel lines- Napa stores sell the nylon and fittinfs as does o reailly and advance.

2. Go to the junkyard and poach lines from a parts trucks, but these are usually dirty or rusty or both

3, Open up the wallet and use PTFE an-6 hose and ends and make your own bundle- quite expensive to do this.

BUT thats only if you use a retunr style system and the 96 up dont use that- Just a feed line in which case, use a nylon line from tank to midpoint, near the trans crossmember and then using the an-6 stainles PTFE lone with heat insulation to the fuel rail
Ok thanks thanks that clears a lot up. Will I have to keep the computer that's in the truck now to run overdrive or can the magnum computer do that? Another question is do I keep the serpentine belt setup or move my v-belt timing cover onto the magnum motor? Thanks

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there is a newer style fuel line that says for fuel injection you must use along with a newer style "band" nut/bolt hose clamp . know that the 360 mag IS externally balanced the 318's are ALL internally . a 1996 360 flex plate HAS the  weights , and the bolt holes are equidistant , you could then use your 90 318 converter with a 360 mag motor. BUT  .....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
1.  Keep the serp belt system.  Not really any other options.  The whole magnum front end is different from theLA engines

2.  Computer depends of wiring harness.  Stay away from the later years like 00 and up (i think) because then you get into passcodes and security system nightmares.  92-93 is the easiest to use, but hardest to find.  You'll need to work hard to adapt a 96-up OBD 2 system to a 1 st gen.  And use that years computer with that years harness.  This is the most difficult part of the swap unless you find a 92-93 set up.  Dakota harnesses can be adapted but with some cutting and splicing-

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jerseybud said:
1. Keep the serp belt system. Not really any other options. The whole magnum front end is different from theLA engines

2. Computer depends of wiring harness. Stay away from the later years like 00 and up (i think) because then you get into passcodes and security system nightmares. 92-93 is the easiest to use, but hardest to find. You'll need to work hard to adapt a 96-up OBD 2 system to a 1 st gen. And use that years computer with that years harness. This is the most difficult part of the swap unless you find a 92-93 set up. Dakota harnesses can be adapted but with some cutting and splicing-
Dang I've got a bid in on a 2001 Dodge Durango. If what you say ends up being the case I can just sell a few parts and break even. Only 300 bucks Canadian haha

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.