Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my truck is getting in need of a clutch soon..........and i'll be getting the flywheel re-surfaced and taking a look at my tranny bearings and synchros (NP435) also.

SO, i figure while i'm at it i might as well finially decide on which engine to go with.......and use (and resurface) that flywheel ;D

the choices are my 84 truck's current stock 2bd 318 running ok.....(but in need of some more power)
OR a running but in need of rebuild? 72' 360 2bd..........both are bolted up to NP435's...........

so it's going in a daily driver, that does alittle towing once in awhile, and it has 3.54 gears with 31" tires (and no overdrive)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SShxn said:
Which everone you decide, get a roller block and run a hydralic roller cam.
i am really leaning twards using the 360 i have........(when you say "roller block" what do you mean?

also, i've heard this 360 has a forged crank, true? also is it pretty simple to have hardened valve seats put in the 360 heads? i'm assuming this is need to run pump gas (unleaded)

also does anyone recommend something other than the edelbrock performer cam/intake......?

also will the 318 distributor work in the 360? (it has points)

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
3/4tonYJ said:
SShxn said:
i am really leaning twards using the 360 i have........(when you say "roller block" what do you mean?

also, i've heard this 360 has a forged crank, true? also is it pretty simple to have hardened valve seats put in the 360 heads? i'm assuming this is need to run pump gas (unleaded)

also does anyone recommend something other than the edelbrock performer cam/intake......?

also will the 318 distributor work in the 360? (it has points)
not sure on the forged crank, i suppose it is possible, valve seats arent to ahrd to get put in, in a 72 you may or may not need them, but you will need them to run unleaded gas.

for a manny, i know ed3 is going to give me crap for this, but a stock 4bbl dual plane works just fine. as far as cams there are several manufacturers out there, lunati is a fairly affordable one.

yes the 318 dist will work in the 360, about the only thing is the timing curve may be off.

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
SShxn said:
intenseimages said:
SShxn said:
have you priced a roller cam lately?{bigeyes}{bigeyes}{bigeyes}{bigeyes}
Yes, and I will take one over a flat tappet any day.
dont get me wrong, i am not saying they are a bad thing.
but for some of us it is hard to justify or afford a $200-500 cam

eric

·
Registered
105 Posts
intenseimages said:
SShxn said:
intenseimages said:
SShxn said:
have you priced a roller cam lately?{bigeyes}{bigeyes}{bigeyes}{bigeyes}
Yes, and I will take one over a flat tappet any day.
dont get me wrong, i am not saying they are a bad thing.
but for some of us it is hard to justify or afford a $200-500 cam

eric
Very true, they are pricey. Mopar average for Comp Cams 280.00, Crane 300.00. I have talked to Comp cams about getting a custom grind and they quoted 310.00. So, even a custom grind would be the way to go for 30-40 dollars more.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am thinking that the cheapest route would be to add some performance parts to your 318. You said that it needed more power, but how is the compression and the oil pressure? If they are OK, then add 4 barrel, headers, duals, and maybe a camshaft. This will really wake up the 318. You would want the headers, the 4 barrel and the exhaust whether you go with the 318 or the 360, so consider hopping up the 318 if it is still healthy. You will be performance and dollars ahead this way. Of course, if money is no object, then rebuild the 360 with all top-notch parts and add whatever bolt-on stuff you want.
Also, why are you running points in an '84? Chrysler hasn't used points since 1972, and they belong only on concours restorations of musclecars and antiques. They SUCK in daily usage. I used to carry around a spare distributor back in my contact points days, and I ended up using it on at least one occasion. Once I bought my first electronic ignition car, I knew I would never drive another points-fired vehicle again.
To the best of my knowledge, Chrysler never put a forged crank in a 360. If the parting lines are wide, it is forged, if they are very narrow, it is cast.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Moparman440, you're right on the forged crank. According to the book I have, The only LA motors that came with a forged crank were 64-67 273s and 68-72 340s. It does say that 74-75 360 4 bbl cranks are shot-peened (but still cast).

As far as manifolds, Eric is right. A stock 4bbl one is good for those of us on a budget :)

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
intenseimages said:
not sure on the forged crank, i suppose it is possible, valve seats arent to ahrd to get put in, in a 72 you may or may not need them, but you will need them to run unleaded gas.
Yes you will need seats.

for a manny, i know ed3 is going to give me crap for this, but a stock 4bbl dual plane works just fine. as far as cams there are several manufacturers out there, lunati is a fairly affordable one.
Nope i have recently given up on alot of issues, everyone can remain 100% wrong and think the factory intake is only heavier than the aftermarket intakes and performance a marginal gain

yes the 318 dist will work in the 360, about the only thing is the timing curve may be off.

eric
I would say get msd and toss the points, and all sb dists interchage with eachother, no 60's ever used a forged crank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
moparman440, i intended to say the 72' 360 has points, and was wondering if the 84' electronic distributor would fit in the 360..........
BUT, i really like your idea about putting some parts on the 318 (assuming it's compression is ok, oil pressure is goodish) that could be used on the 360 when it get's rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
intenseimages said:
Nope i have recently given up on alot of issues, everyone can remain 100% wrong and think the factory intake is only heavier than the aftermarket intakes and performance a marginal gain

actually marty, i agree the edelbrock is a very nice flowing manifold, but in stock configuration the numbers arent different enough for me to use one on my 360, just due to the fact that the performer is made to match the 318 port size.

now if i had the time to really port one or could afford to have one ported to match the 360 and get the more impressive numbers out of it, then yes i agree the edelbrock is the way to go.
for that matter there are some aftermarket ones out there that are already ported to match up with a 360, and yes these are a mutch better choice than oem.

what he is going to need to do though is decide what he wants this engine for. because if it is for towing then he is not going to want to slap a single plane manny on there. and if it is for high rpm/racing numbers then he will not want a dual plane on there.

eric

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
They improve all motors stock, or modified, they really pick up the mid-range more than low-end since the stock intake sucks in mid-range

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.