Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would have a rebuilt 360 for my truck but I ran across a 318 sooner so I'm gonna rebuild it and spice it up a bit. What kind of ignition and other mods would make a difference? What do you guys run

·
2,317 Posts
what year 318, gears in the ram, tire size? what are you going to do with it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an 85 and I am having it rebuilt and bored .30 over, with new water pump and all the goodies for a decent rebuild.

I lifting the dodge to clear 35's and right now the gears are stock 3.23's. I plan to get 3.90's or 4.10's, not sure which would be better for a combination or wheeling and everyday street use.

As for mods, I was talking about performance distibutor, new plugs, plug wires and other small stuff that would actually make a little difference. Budget will be around 500-800 bucks after the gearing change and everything else is complete

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
dont piss around too much with ignition.

the most you d need is maybe a MP distrbuotr kit with the orange box. other wise stuff like msd u may be just throwin money away. if u gain power from ignitoion upgrade that just means your stock one is flawed.

the stuff you want is head work cam carb and cam (they call it the 3 c's. cam carb compression)

here is an idea. a cam in the 250º-265º. a 600 cfm carb. #302 cylinder heads. they are found on many 86 and 87 2 bbl 318. get the valves over sized to standard 360 size. have shop clean up ports just a bit or you can do it. possibly a slight mill job. use factory cast iron intake for 4bbl.

another option on carb is to use a thermoquad as used on factory 70s 4bbls.

this guy is a rcc member.

contact him

http://thermoquads.com/

oh btw the exhaust is first thing 2 do. headers are cheap. then throw on some dynomax mufflers and a few bends of pipe.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man I totally forgot about exhaust work, thanks alot I def. have to get exhaust work done. I also planned on switching an intake and carb from a 4bbl 360. Would this help out?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah. That would work. I started a thread somwhere on that 360 intake and carb swap. Might wanna look that up.

Your going to have to gasket match. Since 318 heads are smaller than 360s

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a 318 with the stock single pickup ignition, stock exhaust, edelbrock intake, and holley 4 bbl and some type of aftermarket cam (not sure). Guy sold it to me running as is for 250, it pulls 35's with the 3.23's. Not great acceleration, but acceptable. It does pull well on the highway and will likely liven up once I swap out the rear for a 1 ton 4.56 14 bolt and swap the front gears to match.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
take a look at the september issue of mopar muscle magazine, they take a 318 and using commonly available straight bolt on parts got it to turn 400 horsepower.

main thing was new pistons and using magnum heads and manifold, with a decent cam

might be something you would be interested in

eric

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is what I did to the 318 in the Aspen earlier this year.
Magnum Heads, Cam MP4452761(lift changed to .480/.485 with 1.6 rocker ratio) , MP magnum dual plane intake, Holley 600 vac, Headman shorty headers.

Last year I did a simple upgrade to the truck.

#302 Heads, Edel 600cfm carb, Edel intake, Summit 6900 cam.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
I found this 318 FAQ on some website about what to do to your 318. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.