Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a crate engine to replace the 318 in my 84 RC. Haven't had much luck with Google as far as sources. Has anyone here swapped out their tired old engine for a crate? If so, where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Would it be cheaper to just rebuild/refurbish my existing engine? (I do plan on upgrading to a 4bbl carb)

Thank you for your advice. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually, your local mopar dealership's going to probably offer you a competitive deal on a crate engine. they usually offer a good combo with a warrenty and all. Also, you can give Auto Zone a call. They have good deals as well. They have a series 1 and series 2 engine. I would recommend the series 2. Stay away from the series one because they put a lot of lower quality parts back in. The seies 2 has a lot better quality, although there will be a price difference. If they don't offer the series 2 for your application, stay away from Auto Zone.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Carquest also offers a crate engine (from ttwo different manufactures) The carquest engine is actualy run on a dyno prior to you getting it. The roadrunner engine isnt as to price I dont know I'm at home now. Wyatt

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
or you can rebuild and have a learning experience.

unless this is only mode of transportation and you can only afford to lose it lng enough to swap in another engine.

id defeintly recommend either rebuilding this engine or buying a junk yard core and rebuilding it.

it ll be fun man. im tellin ya. then take it into local machine shop and have it bored if needed. have em check crank and rods. they can also check heads and deck.

dont bother with reusing pistons unless you really are that tight. same with cam/lifters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, If you've never done it before, it's quite cool to just do it yourself. Personally, I'd get my hands on a P.A.W. catalog and order all the rebuild componants from them. They probably have a kit and would wind up saving you big money in the long run. Then you have the option of building it for more than stock power by getting a bigger cam for it, having some performance block work done, like balancing, port work, or decking the block.You'd still only have probably $1700 dollars in the whole engine and have a nicely powered Mopar!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would do it myself if you have the time and the place to do it but i found this place on a google search
www.dodge-chrysler-auto-truck-engines.com/dodge-chrysler-engines.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts