Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I tried to search, but came up with nothing, sorry to post this question. Im helping a friend out. She wants to save a few dollars on the 30K service and Im sure I can help her. Is there someone who has the list of items done on the 30K service? Id assume it would include radiator flush and fill, diffs, t-case(?), transmission(?)...
Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated, plus its for a good cause, a hot chick who drives a big dodge!!!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
30k service is where the dealer takes you into the parking lot, bends you over, and.... :eek:

Has been about 14 months since I had my 30k service done...but IIRC they do EVERYTHING. Diffs, trans, T-case, engine oil, coolant, check & replace if needed: plugs, wires, cap & rotor, all smog crap, exhaust, brakes, steering linkage....everything.

If you are lucky it will come out under $400... :( A good $150 will simply be for hooking it up to their diagnostic machine....I hate OBDII :mad:

-SM

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
does she still have owners manual? thats good place to start

but we need particulars on the truck. obviously its 4x4. but which engine? what kind of transmission?

if you cannot find a owners manual, you need to find either a haynes manual or a factory service manual.

id recommend you get one or both of those manuals anyways if you wanna impress this chick. they ll come in handy when service shop tries to charge $1000 for a head gasket or something simple. plus they give lube orders, grease points, and inspection tips.

preventative maintenance is the shiat.

keep the machine well lubed and itll go much longer.

and if she can afford it, it is highly recommended to use a synthetic life time lubricant in the axles and t case. better mileage wear and driveability.

use a good lithium greae. do a general structural mechanical and safety inspection along with any specific checks for your model of ram.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
30k service is where the dealer takes you into the parking lot, bends you over, and.... :eek:
No shit, thats why i did mine on my own, saved like 400$...
anyway, shouldnt be too bad, expense is the fluids... why cap and rotors though?! i thought about doing the plugs anyway, good practice IMO...
thanks, that list is about what i was thinking...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joe swinehart said:
-does she still have owners manual?

Id assume she does, she is gone for the weekend and i figured id get a head start...

Yeah, 4x4 360 V8, Auto (is there more than 1 type, if so its the common one id guess, ill check)

-preventative maintenance is the shiat.

I agree, thats why i wanna help her!

Im Pretty sure she will stick with organics for now anyway, i will talk to her about amzoil or mobile 1 (i like amzoil and am going to it in all my stuff in my truck) What do you recommend for synth?
also, is the tranny just a drain and fill or a full flush and fill?
Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
jrizman said:
No shit, thats why i did mine on my own, saved like 400$...
anyway, shouldnt be too bad, expense is the fluids... why cap and rotors though?! i thought about doing the plugs anyway, good practice IMO...
thanks, that list is about what i was thinking...
I do most of my own maintenance too, except the stuff I hate....which unfortunately covers a lot of territory on my 2000. :(

I do the engine oil, coolant, cap,rotor, wires, plugs, and brakes. I left the diffs, T-case, trans, and steering to the dealer.

Funny how after that service the tranny went out, ended up with all new steering components, and a new rear-end (this all over about a 12 month period after the service). Pretty much everything they touched ended up getting replaced shortly down the road under warranty. Great 'techs' up here :-\

Gotta love that extended warranty....

I run Mobile 1 10w-30 syn in everything I own with an engine. All year round. Oil pressure at -40*F comes up faster than conventional 5w-30 does at the same temp.

When I tore down my slant last year for a rebuild, there was not one spot of sludge in the entire motor....110k miles, the last 60k were on the Mobile 1.

-SM

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
inspec before replacing. if the cap isnt cracked or carbon tracked or otherwise worn thats an extra $15 you saved her.

from what i can gather do a regular service. drain refill, filter and any band adjustments that may be needed. too many times people with mopars have had the tranny flushed and it burnt up after that due to some carbon breaking loose and jamming up somewhere it doesnt belong.

the plugs also can be an indicator of other problems in the future. stuff like oil, metal particles, glaze, too light or too dark or red (red means manganese octane booster has been used) you want a light sandy tan color unless they re really new.

you might get a scan done or if you cant you can check most sensor on vehicle with it running with a multi meter.

the parking brake is often over looked.

drain and refill axles and t case. i believe atf weight goes in the 241 t case (check to be sure) and i gear lube in the rear and front diffs. be sure to add friction modifier if she has limited slip differentials. (gm ls fluid is highly recommended)

as far as gear lube, any lube such as amsoil red line or royal purple will suffice and all cost about $8/quart but will save much in fuel and wear and last longer. im not sure if the t case uses atf or 30weight so wont reply for sure on that one. just throw in a good synthetic for that. check the above 3 manufacturers or summit. highly highly encourage her to use the lube. itll be worth it in long run and prolly short run as well.

in our motorpool the common problems we find are usually simple gasket type leaks or bad steering components. steering fails when people do not grease em up. we tore some ball joints apart to find there was nothign but rust inside. and gaskets are always dripping.

not a dodge particular problem but something found in trucks used in off road applications such as our military tactical rigs.

belts and tires as well.

if its rubber, it frequently fails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont get your board, how the hell do i reply to u without this quote BS, i like my toyota board!
anyway, thanks for your help!
I love mobile 1 too, but have been hearing some really good things with amzoil, my brother is at 120k on his exploder and no issues, he loves the stuff, ive been thinking about going to amzoil (he will give me dealer price break!)

ill do plugs, but hopefully nothing else will need to be done in that area, its only 30k, u know?!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
there is a reply button at the top and bottom

dont click on reply with quote unless you are quoting some one.

yes and since its 30K and you are doing the work id prefer to refer to it as a 30K inspection rather than service. service sounds like shot gun mechaincs just throwin parts at a truck that might be just fine.

be sure to road test it.

ya royal purple amsoil and red line are all great stuff. get which ever one you can get fro the cheapest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as for the tranny, i didnt know there was a filter, that sucks... shouldnt need a flush till like 60k then the dealer can do that! what do you mean by band adjustments?

What about the parking brake, i noticed that she uses it every time she parks and sets it pretty well. im guessin it should be adjusted?!

i put gear lube in my tcase, but i will see what the manual says about the dodge... that shouldnt be too bad...
friction modifier huh? geeeze, (I love my locking rear end!!!) where can i get that shit at?

we will grease everything up nice, shit i do all my zirks every oil change just cause its easy keeps everything running great!!!

thanks, u guys have a real good forum here, ill get her on it when she gets back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool beans, i hear ya!
shell be runnin like a champ when we are done with the help you guys have been giving me! thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
absoultely no gear lube!
the links in the chain driven transfer cases are too tight. the thick gear lube will not penetrate.

i mentioned this before on purpose because i had a feeling you or some one else may have accidently put gear lube in it.

friction modifier is ONLY if she has a factory limited slip with clutch plates. lockers dont count in this case. it is a lube supplement added to gear lube. bought at GM dealer. but if she donesnt have limited slip dont put it in. just straight gear lube then.

using it everytime is also a good thing. at east you know it isnt rusted up. plus it saves the parking pawl on the tranny.

the filter should be inside the tranny, visible when pan is removed.

that is also when you ll see all kindsa bolts and such. consult factory service manual or haynes to see if this year of dodge has bands that are adjusted for wear and such. it ll tell you turn it so many ft lbs (must use torque wrench) then turn back so many turns.

check brakes for noise wear leaks and anyting else. any kind of leak or moisture is what we call a "deadline". with a oil pan or steering component or rear end you are allowed so much of a leak classified by the fact if its just wet, it has a small drop, or it drips to the ground. slight moisture or even a small drop is exceptable in most areas except the brakes. must be absoultely leak free. expecially the short rubber flex hose.

as i said before, be leary about the flush. the flush has taken out many a dodge transmission. the flush breaks up just enough stuff. then as you start driving more breaks off and plugs shit up.

dont forget to inspect drive shafts and front axle shafts and u joints for any slop. and check if there is a clunk when you put it in reverse or in gear.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
FWIW--the factory cap on the magnums suck. The factory ones I have replaced all looked fine---except the trucks all had idle mis-fires. Replaced the cap & rotor and misfires were gone...just my $0.02 on that issue.

BTW--the slant had no oiling problems or oil related failures at 110k miles....I burned a hole in the #1 piston due to a leaking throttle shaft on a 2500 mile trip (vacuum leak) :eek: I probably could have gotton away with slapping a new piston & rings in it and been done. The main bearing clearances were still well within spec. But I figured it was out, why not just give her the once over ;D

-SM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts