Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this sweet motor in my RV...

ISB 300 HP 6 cyl 24 vlv 359 CID

I have put almost 5k on its 20k existance, it is all under warranty so I dont want to screw dat up.

I will crawl under it and find part #'s for the oil/ait filters, etc, but I cant find the diesel fuel discarge, for draining out water ?
Followed the fuel system, but didnt see it?

I will look closer when I take off the access under the main bed, hard to get to.

What can I do to it to make it perform better, it gets 10.4, and usually has 30k lbs at the wheels, and pulling a tow dolly with the RC in the back.

I know you dont want to turn up the pump to build up pressure, but man o man I keep seeing banks in its future...

Will post pics when I can

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
look for the fuel filter, either there is a pull up drain under it (part of the filter) or it is a lever next to it or on top or below it.

As for the banks statement, you can accomplish the same thing banks does for alot less by buying the same components from other companies. If you already have guages get an open element air filter, like the AFE ones and a 4" exhaust with no muffler, or a stright through type muffler. You can also put bigger injectors in it, which will increase mileage, or add one of the fueling computers like the Edge EZ or Comp or something similar.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
CraZYWilliE said:
I have this sweet motor in my RV...

ISB 300 HP 6 cyl 24 vlv 359 CID

I have put almost 5k on its 20k existance, it is all under warranty so I dont want to screw dat up.

I will crawl under it and find part #'s for the oil/ait filters, etc, but I cant find the diesel fuel discarge, for draining out water ?
Followed the fuel system, but didnt see it?

I will look closer when I take off the access under the main bed, hard to get to.

What can I do to it to make it perform better, it gets 10.4, and usually has 30k lbs at the wheels, and pulling a tow dolly with the RC in the back.

I know you dont want to turn up the pump to build up pressure, but man o man I keep seeing banks in its future...

Will post pics when I can
Is this Cummins similar to the one used in a Dodge truck??

Olly

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe it is the same engine, but theres a 6 speed allison trans attached, theres room to crawl around back there too.

The motor is in the back.

Thanks Sam, The air box is huge, and the exhaust is already 4 in diameter, but there is no intercooler, so that might be something I can add on to it without voiding the warrantee, will find out.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
ya you could do the intercooler as well as the edge type stuff, or contact prince brothers and ask what you can do, it is the same motor but sounds like it is just turned up a bit. check prince guys out.

www.princeperformancediesels.com

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you've got the most advanced and economical engine in the Cummins lineup to take you where you want to go. The ISB is a fully electronic, 24-valve, in-line 6-cylinder turbocharged diesel. The ISB runs faster and cleaner with better fuel economy. Plus, it's 80% quieter!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeehaawwww......{smoke}

I am stoked, got all the filter numbers and spent hours looking at.
http://www.cumberland.cummins.com/na/pages/en/distributors/louisville/whatweoffer/products/rv/isb.cfm

http://www.funroads.com/gensets/ogDisplayCategory.jhtml?id=cat130005

http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/

And this makes me smile, the generator will quit running when the main tank has 10 gallons for the main cummins, so that can start and get you to a fuel station.

I am gonna change the oil/fuel filters and drain the oil, I had done the generator a few months ago, 100 hours.

90 gallon fuel tank, and theres room under neath for another tank, thinking 150 gallon, then I can go a while to refuel, at 10.5 MPG.....
how many qts will I need, and what kind of oil?
mobil 1, castrol syntec ?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
CraZYWilliE said:
I

And why don't you want to turn up the pump? That where alot of power can be found. The pump is computer controlled, so to turn them up requires a chip.

Turning up the pump means you can get more fuel to enter the engine. To take advantage of the greater volume of fuel the pump is capable of delivering, you should install aftermarket injectors which will allow more fuel into the engine for greater power. I would also look into turbo mods for really big power gains.

For BIG power gains I'd suggest you O-ring the block so you're not blowing the head gasket.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the "pig" to freightliner for the oil and filter change, they also done a lube and fuel filters, 4 GALLONS of oil...WOW

After the change I checked the oil, as I always do, and it was still black, I have never seen this before, I asked the guy, he gave me a speal about residual, ok, no prob, I checked it again after 3 hours of driving, and it is still black, 4 GALLONS of oil, and its still black, this isnt right..

Or am I halucinating?
Will check the filter tomorrow, got me all wound up...

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
CraZY, black oil is typically normal in diesels. As any engine produces a little blow by in the cylinders, diesel blow by tends to be black from incomplete burn, and this colors the oil. It's won't hurt the performance of the lubrication system or cause rapid wear as diesel fuel itself is a lubricant. At a fee, Freightliner can provide an oil anaylsis, and this will tell you exactly what is floating in the oil causing wear, or what is wearing out. There are also products available for the diesel operator to extend oil change intervals, which Freightliner and Cummins can tell you about.

Ed

·
Registered
846 Posts
Since I worked at a dealer, I have seen the black oil after a change. It is somewhat normal. You could put in Bigger injectors, but most anything you do could have a adverse affect on your warrenty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts