Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever HEARD /SEEN a 30 gallon fuel tank in an older truck?(pre-1989-1993 diesel).
I am parting out an 85 D150, and there is guy saying his truck has the 30 gallon tank, and that he can’t find a sending unit for it. I TRY to help people when they call for parts, but it ain’t easy. Some that call me should be talking to a shrink and not a parts guy. Anyway, I did all the  searching I could, to no avail. , But I’ve never seen a tank that large in an older ½ ton for sure. The PRE-electric pump tanks (1988 had the smaller diameter on the top too.
So if anyone reading this has a part number or solution to UN-obtainium sending units?
Thanks, Crossy

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Yes, there was a30 gallon mid-mounted fuel tank available in the '80s carb models.  Specifically part number 4279843.  The matching sending unit for '85 would be 4051891.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is a vendor on Ebay that sells a stainless steel sending unit for the 30 gallon tank. I replaced an 87 20 gallon sender several months ago for a friend. It came from the same vendor. Worked and fit with no problems.

I just checked and there are seven listed on ebay right now. Most are aroind $100 plus shipping.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so thanks for the replies, I had already found those on ebay and sent the link- THEN he tells me his is an 88, which means it has the large diameter opening for intank pump required for TBI, since his will have the large diameter and that MOST cummins 89-93 had the large tank- it shouldn't be too much trouble to find a sender? and THEN I remembered not being able to find one of those senders 3 years ago. Thanks crossy

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
if he has a diesel he could probably run a 87 or older tank or a 91-93 tank if he can find one. he could even make one for a 88-90 if he wanted. with a diesel there is really not too much to them. if it is TBI then ya he may need a proper sending unit or a 91-93 tank. you can probably get a electric fuel pump in a 87 or older tank but it probably isn't the best way to go. better off to try making a new sending unit for the 88-90 tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.