Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
I presume you're wanting to lower your bumper to keep it at your existing height after you install your lift?

You probably need to check into your local laws concerning bumper height.  Some states just have a maximum height that a modest lift like 3" should not require relocating your bumper.
If it is an issue, you'll likely have to have new brackets fabricated - either by you or a local fab shop.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Bumper is attatched to your frame, so no.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
You make a new brackets as said before.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Note that moving your bumper up with adaptor plates will make it pretty useless as the relation plates are weak and will add leverage on the bumper against it's mounts.  If you bump anything with a relocated bumper you will most likely fold it up into the valance and bed.  If you have a ball mount on the rear bumper you will no longer be able to tow with it.  You could fabricate a set of stronger mounts but they would have to be fairly complicated to retain any of their strength.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Or just dont do the body lift at all until you get to know more about your truck.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Like Elwenil mentioned, with brackets, you will weaken the bumpers usefulness, with the added leverage. I built a bumper to fit with the increased body height. You could do that, and have stronger bumpers as well. My old 92 I had built a rear bumper, but had sold the truck before I built one for the front. :p This was the only pic I have of the back. The Chevy and Ford guys usually only seen the backside! ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Wow very nice truck  {cool} to bad you sold it  :(

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I sold the truck, so I could get a diesel, for pulling my holiday trailer. Plus, a guy offed $9000 for it, and I couldn't pass that up! I had over 150k hard driven miles on it too, problems with it, were becoming more frequent.  ::)

·
Registered
26 Posts
you can install the body lift without the bumper brackets and not have any problems. the bumper brackets are just for aesthetics, they basically are there to make your truck look like you dont have a body lift. i have yet to find a company that sells bumper brackets for our body style trucks. i just make my own, but if you dont have access to a welder and some fabrication tools thats going to be tough to do.

you will however, have to get a borgeson steering shaft, or build a new one, because the body lift will require a longer steering shaft. there are a  few different ways you can build them. if you use the search bar there are a few good how-to's on here about them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
ok if you don't want the gap above the bumpers this is what you do.
  Flip the front brackets up side down then left to right  and right to left two of the holes line up with the frame and drill the third walla
  rear just flip them up side down only two holes line up but I have a drop hitch so not using the bumper anyway

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
Earl said:
Flip the front brackets up side down then left to right and right to left two of the holes line up with the frame and drill the third walla
{ttiwwop}

You cannot flip the front brackets, without flipping the front bumper upside down.

Attachments

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
Earl said:
rear just flip them up side down only two holes line up but I have a drop hitch so not using the bumper anyway
Again, show us pics of how you do it.

this is an after market bumper, most factory step bumpers, have the bracket welded to the bumper. This one, you might be able to re drill the bumper and frame, to have the bracket angle upward, instead of downward. But flipping them, will do nothing.

Attachments

G

·
The way I have seen 4wd shops do it is to cut the bracket down the middle with a shop saw, put a piece of metal in the middle of the bracket, and weld back together, the bumper side of the bracket 3" higher.  Of course this is for appearance; don't go pushing down trees with your factory bumper. 

·
Registered
223 Posts
U have to swap them left to right  right to left that makes it right side up I will take pics when my wife gets back from hot lanta with the camera trust me it works just a little confusing on the flip

1 - 20 of 40 Posts