Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a 2wd cab on my 4x4 and i noticed the 2wd had a narrow tranny tunnel.

If I cut a hole in the floor for the 4wd shifter will it be a problem since the tranny tunnel is narrow, or will it just be off to the side a bit?

I plan on putting a rubber boot over the shifter to make it look good

·
Registered
30,144 Posts
well without a body lift the CAB will hit the T-case / so you can either lift it or cut the floor out and weld in the 4x4 floor / option 3 is a very Large hammer

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much will hit it?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Alot. Most of the interferance on mine was the t-case shifter itself. Even with 4" of body I had to cut a bit.

·
2,317 Posts
were going to put a 2wd cab on the boys 78. just going to use the trans tunnel from the 4x4 cab.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the tranny tunnels interchangable like a bolt on, or is welding and cutting required?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Have a 2wd cab on my w150 with a 1inch body lift. took the shift lever off and set the cab on the frame and shimmed the body till it had good clearance. lot, lot easier than cutting the floor out and welding in another, I am assuming you are changing the cab because of rust, so why not leave the floor alone except for the shift lever hole. Welded sheet metal is more prone to rust. Besides a lift always looks better, the inch will not over stretch the brake lines and the clutch or auto shifter can be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I am planning on getting a 6 inch tuff country suspension lift and it comes with a 1 inch transfer case drop. Will that be enough to clear?

·
Registered
381 Posts
should clear but I would still lift the body an inch. lets you get at stuff easier like brake lines, gas lines, and an inch doesn't put the fan into the bottom rad hose.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i've been reading around and it seems some transmission tunnels are unboltable so I'll have to check mine out...hopefully I'll get lucky

·
2,317 Posts
on the 78 4x4 cab im removing, its got a body sealer holding it in place. i lifted the mat, and could see the stuff coming out where it meets the floor. have not checked the 79 cab at my buddys yard yet.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Your cab is welded

1 - 12 of 12 Posts