Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched and could not find any information on the conversion. Im sure that it is pretty straight forward to convert a 2wd to 4wd, but was wondering if there was a site or a guide out there to doing it. I am getting an 88 ram charger today and i wish it was 4wd, but cannot pass up the price on this one in the condition it is in. Id like to run 35's on it and wonder if i need to lift it at all? thanks for any information, parts lists, etc.. bbl

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Ok first what you would need to do is find the entire front axle from a donor truck along with all the springs and hangers and steering stuff. You'll need to find a transfer case and adapter for your transmission. There is no guide or site other than this site for the info you need. You would need to lift it to clear 35's. I cleared 35's on my 85 with only a 4 inch lift. I'm sure there are other things that I am forgetting but Welcome to the site

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try the search with a plain "2WD 4WD conversion", it spits out some interesting hits.

Incidentally I don't think it would be straightforward, rather the very opposite. I've considered the conversion for some time myself, but far as I've been able to judge (mostly using others' wit and experience), it would be cheaper to buy a 4x4 rig.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Welcome to RCC

You may not like what I say but you are always better off just buying a 4wd RC then to convert a 2wd. Even if you got a great deal on your purchase, by the time you buy and install the 4wd parts, you would spend far more than what the going rate is for a good 4wd RC.

Converting to 4wd is an expensive and very time consuming process. If you can afford to be without the truck, plan it being out of service for awhile as you collect the hundreds of parts.

Besides the obvious axle and transfer case, you'll need to disassemble the stock front suspension, locate and install a 4wd engine crossmember (Unless you plan to add lots of lift) have a pair of driveshafts made. You'll need a new set of springs, spring hangers, shackles, bushings, shocks, brake lines, etc. Then you'll need to either replace the tranny with a 4wd tranny and t-case, or have the tailshaft removed for a t-case adapter. You will need linkages, a 4wd shifter, a new tranny crossmember, and several odds and ends.

Of course you could just get a donor 4wd and just drop your body onto a 4wd frame, but first you'll need to locate an RC thats either wrecked or rusted, then you'll have to make sure the running gear is in good shape or requires rebuilding. You could buy a good 4wd RC for parts, but why strip it if it's good?

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.