Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for those who have completed a 2wd to 4wd conversion. I have a 86 d150 I'm converting. What are the pros and cons of modifying the front cross member vs robbing the one from my w150. The d150 I have is a slant 6. The 89 w150 is a 5.2.  I am using a magnum 360 from an 02 for the engine. I have the cross members either way. If one way is more perferred let's hear it please.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Its a lot of work, and besides that, it is a lot of work. You have 3 crossmembers to deal with. The front one under the rad, is simple to just grind off the strut mounts. The second one, under the engine, has to come out, it will interfere with the front axle. The third one, has to change, to accept the transmission/ transfer case mounts.

Why not use the 89 frame? The 02 engine will bolt in place.

Did I mention that converting a frame is a lot of work? Just removing the 2wd engine mount/ suspension cross member, is a ton of rivets to drill through, and then you still have to cut parts off, to get it off the frame.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frame on the 89 is rusted through.  I have dealt with the rivets before. The other truck is rust free. Paint still on the frame. I like to work. I use to build Jeep's under the guise of offroading them. I realized that I didn't wheel them but twice a year. It dawned on me that I just liked building things. Essentially the question is more in regards to if I go a specific way will it lock me out of other options? Like cross over steering etc.  Also it allows my wife to see me use these expensive tools that I own. Lol

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I have a d100 slant 6 ,stick ,  that is now a w150 magnum nv4500 . I did NOT do the frame , I got it that way , some of the work was done nicely , some was done by a fella who obviously didn't have a clue . there is a slight difference in trans crossmember width , Do Not redrill the frame , making holes right at the corner of the flange!! redrill the crossmember .... whenever installing bolts where rivets ounce were , be sure the hole is as tight on the bolt SHANK as possible .    the D100 frame rails are the lightest ones , in both size and thickness .. does not make for a H.D. 4x4 truck . what else do ya need to know ? ask . 

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a d150. I hope that makes a difference. Essentially I have read differing opinions on cross over steering interfeering with the engine cross member. Modify the 2wd version or use the one from the 4wd frame? I could build one as well.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The D150 frame does not have as thick steel as the W150 longbed or D250 frame. The following table jives with my  '89-90 D150 & D250 trucks...

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Mechanized said:
Mine is a d150. I hope that makes a difference. Essentially I have read differing opinions on cross over steering interfeering with the engine cross member. Modify the 2wd version or use the one from the 4wd frame? I could build one as well.
Unless you go with a 8" or so lift, the 2wd engine mount cross member will hit the front axle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got out and was swapping tires between the two trucks. The 4wd drive frame does appear to be thicker.  The worst portions appear to be rivited on. Bump stop mounts etc. I'm going to have to strip it and determine my next move. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.