Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a 1995 Ram 1500 Larame SLT SB Magnum w/318, 5 speed, cruise, tilt, A/C, in great shape for $650.00. The guy said it had a bad tranny but I think the clutch is slipping. The engine runs smooth as silk. The battery was dead so I haven't brought it home yet. (only 3 doors down)

I would like to convert it to 4WD. I can wrench but I'm not familiar w/Rams. (yet) Any way to do this without major surgery? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan 8)

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
u want to make a major conversion with out doing major surgery? it doesnt quite work that way. u basically have to take the whole front end off, then add the whole front end from another truck in its place, along with a tcase, new tranny tailshaft, and new driveshafts. it would be much easier and quite possibly cheaper to get a 4x4.

Duane

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Major surgery to me is massive cutting and welding. Swapping is not a problem. Tcase, driveshafts, mounts, etc. can come out of a salvage yard. What I was mostly inquiring about was the crossmember under the engine and the springs/shocks setup. I haven't looked closely at a Dodge 4x4 setup but I just got a Haynes manual and see the front axle is a solid dana 44 or 60. On a Ford with IFS, you can swap to a solid axle with a lift of about 8-10 inches (min.) and a bolt-on kit from Fabritec. I don't think, from what I see, I can do a swap without an extreme lift or major cutting and replacement. So, in this reguard, you are right in that it might be cheaper, or at least easier, to get a 4x4.

Dan 8)

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Converting a 2wd to 4wd is major surgery. And yes there maybe cutting and welding required.

It's not just swapping front ends and putting in a transfer case. You have a dozen things to do before you even consider the axles.

On the other hand, if you have money, anything can be done but in the end it's still cheaper to have gotten the 4x4 to begin with.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck because of the price/condition, not for converting. I love to play outdoors and have had 2 Jeeps and an '80 Ford 4X4 but I didn't like the longer wheelbase of the F150 even though I liked the cargo capacity.

Got her home yesterday. Drove through the neighborhood and there is a noise in the tranny, but it's not constant. Going to check the fluid level and check for leaks today. Will do more thorough inspection when I get the chance. Anybody got a spare NV3500???

Thanks again.

Dan 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts