Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My second rc is a 77 or 78 and I am going to convert it into 2wd. Is the frame on a 4wd and a 2wd the same? What I mean is; can you just bolt the front suspension from a 2wd right on to the frame of a 4wd?

Thomas

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
For the life of me, I don't know why someone would take a more desirable 4wd and convert it to a less desirable 2wd?

My suggestion is just sell the 4x4 and buy a 2wd.

Ed

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The frame rails are the same, but you will have to fabricate at least one new motor mount and you will have to get the front end of a comparable 2wd truck to put in. My RC is converted from a 4wd and whoever did it, did a great job of fabrication. It seems they used a 1972 D100 front end. What I just told you above is just from what I have noticed on my own since I've owned this RC.

kongeddie said:
Hi!
My second rc is a 77 or 78 and I am going to convert it into 2wd. Is the frame on a 4wd and a 2wd the same? What I mean is; can you just bolt the front suspension from a 2wd right on to the frame of a 4wd?

Thomas

·
5,657 Posts
The Best way to make your truck two wheel drive with little work and low cost and you can do it in a weekend time.
BUY A NP205 AND SHIFT IT INTO 2WD!!!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
kongeddie: Whatever your reasons are, they are valid and the project can be done and done well. My RC is evidence of that. If its what you want to do, stick with it and good luck on the project.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RXT said:
For the life of me, I don't know why someone would take a more desirable 4wd and convert it to a less desirable 2wd?

Ed
2wd rc are kinda hard to get over here, And as I said this is 1 of 2 trucks that I have. The other one is a 79 with 203 4wd with 4" of suspension lift. The other rc are going to be LOW.
So I'm converting it into 2wd. And to get it as low as possible I need the front suspension of a 2wd truck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
The Best way to make your truck two wheel drive with little work and low cost and you can do it in a weekend time.
ok maybe little work but low cost?? :) have you seen the prices of 205's these days?
shawn

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Murdoch said:
ProjectM880 said:
ok maybe little work but low cost?? :) have you seen the prices of 205's these days?
shawn
50-100 bux? i think thats pretty low.

Duane

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
kongeddie said:
RXT said:

Ed
2wd rc are kinda hard to get over here, And as I said this is 1 of 2 trucks that I have. The other one is a 79 with 203 4wd with 4" of suspension lift. The other rc are going to be LOW.
So I'm converting it into 2wd. And to get it as low as possible I need the front suspension of a 2wd truck.
As I stated, the 4wds are more desirable. As such, they tend to command a higher resale as compared to a 2wd in similar condition.

As I said before, you're better off selling the 4wd and buying a 2wd. If your 4wd is in great shape, it should bring in more money, and if you find a good 2wd for less, you'll have some money left over to put into the 2wd, such as that lowered suspension system.

Just as it may seem simple to convert a 2wd into 4wd, the 4wd into 2wd will have hidden costs. Sure in your case you can sell off the 4wd parts you no longer need, but you still need to buy and install a front suspension system, then lower it to where you want it. Thats not gonna be cheap.

If you want this bad enough, there are other options. Depending on how much you're willing to spend and work on it. Modern 94+ Rams come with better 2wd suspension systems which have plenty more options for lowering. You could either graft on the front frame section, complete with suspension, onto your RC's frame, or drop the body of your RC onto a shortened Ram frame.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts