Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, Just got back from searching and made a discovery about my next project. I have a 75 reg cab W200 440. I want to get a crewcab frame and cab, splice a ramcharger backend on, and make a Dodge "suburban" (lack of a better word) A buddy of mine has a 2wd crew cab frame. All the 4wd parts should bolt over right? Drill out the 2wd rivets, and then bolt or weld? the 4wd bracketry to the frame? Also a member here boxed in his frame. Should the whole frame be done or just sections? I will be a camping/towing rig. Not serious offroad, just further than a 2wd can go. As of now, a stoked 440 is the plan, unless a 5.9L diesel shows up by time the engine work is ready. Any comments/suggestions ideas? Our bonus check is coming up so my brain starting working on new projects to blow my money ;D Thx

-Bob

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
lots of work ahead of u. if u start with a bare frame, then putting on 4x4 parts will be easier if u have complete doner truck, that way u can just swap it over. unless u are towing/hauling some serious weight, u dont really need to box in the frame. but if u want, u can box in sections or the whole thing, its up to u. if ur gonna run a 440 and bigger tires, look for some one ton axles.

Duane

·
Premium Member
7,289 Posts
The most difficult part will be grafting the rear section of a Ramcharger body onto the front part of a crew cab. I hope you have extensive body work experiance or know somebody who does. ;D

Yes, you could convert the 2wd chassis over to 4wd, by using the crossmembers and brackets from the RC.
Boxing the frame won't be nessary if you use the 3/4 ton frame. It's plenty strong enough. However you may need to either extend or shorten the frame to match up with the new body's wheelbase. That point where you must splice the frame would be a great location to box to insure it won't come apart.

I gotta admit that a diesel in a 4dr RC would be the way to go, but they are not exactly cheap engines to buy. The 440 makes a great runner up.

Either engine you end up with, if you want to haul some weight, you're better off with bigger axles. The axles from the RC will work but not if you haul weight (Especially off road)

Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The donor truck for parts, if i get the crew cab frame, is a 75 W200 3/4 ton. If I can't get the crew cab frame I will use the 75 frame. I seen a truck like this at the Mopars at the strip. He sliced the bodies using the rear of the RC door frame to be the "new" rear door jamb on the crew cab. He also neede to shorten the frame I believe. It looked badass. He also put a dually rear under it. Just eyeballing the frame and bodies, best/easiest is to center the RC back half over the rear axle, shorten the back of the frame as needed, and extend the rear door of the crew cab to make up the difference. The calibrated eye shows between 8-12 inches. Or another brain storm is to graft in part of a club cab into the body, but I think the door frame area would be easiest. But I will prolly farm the body work out, so I need to talk to a body shop first before any final decisions. If this gets started I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I want pictures if you ever pull it off. I personally think Ford should have mass produced those Centurian Conversions (looked like a crew cab super duty with a bronco rear). Of course them they came out with the Excursion. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Call Bayer automotive they do this kinda thing all the time

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
hey red90rc: ive seen one of those 4 door broncos before...when i saw it i was like wtf?! i thought it was custom bt found out it was made by ford.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I saw one like that at at dealer in Orland Park one day, but it was a 94-97 Ram.. with a V10. They had another one converted from a std cab, with a Cummins as well.
Aaron Wyse

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
BOGGER35 said:
my DREAM truck is a crew cab on a RC frame with a three foot bed / dont mind me l like to be different
Sorry.. but i don't think there would be enough frame left to have a bed..LOL ;D

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I would box the entire frame, from the very front to the very back, i have a 1 ton frame and you should see that twist, personally if i was making a crewburban i would even add X braces to the frame

·
Administrator
62,039 Posts
Check the wheelbases, and you,ll find out that you will need more then just the rear end of an rc. I mated a Suburban to a crewcab dually frame, and needed to add the length of a door, so it was easiest to just add a whole door section.
if you look at how the body mounts would line up, you'll find that you need a longer drop section behind the last door on the crewcab frame to accommodate the floor of the rc section.

the body work is not that hard if you plan everything carefully.

the hard part is getting the interior trim / headliner and carpet to look right.

·
Vendor
11,742 Posts
You need to keep us posted on this build up. This sounds like a really cool  8) project. I wish Dodge had offered a 4 door RC but they didn't. So now they have to be built. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.