Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo now that the 239 is running semi acceptably....
Buddy who i got the truck from has offered me a 318 with a transmission... the price is good... but before i commit i have a couple questions I hope you guys can help me with...
Ive found a write up about this swap but it was for a dakota so im not sure how much of it applies.

Will engine mounts line up?
Do i need to replace my PCM, MAP, or anything else major...
Can i take my factory TBI and use it on the 318 or do i need to get a new set up.
Is there any major wiring harness changes i have to make?

I realize this has probably been asked, but ive searched the forum and havent been able to find anything as of yet.

again, thank you for the help in advance

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Sooo now that the 239 is running semi acceptably.      why change it for a 318?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Throttle body and everything that goes with it is the same, except for the injectors. Computer is different. And that is all I know on that. .  1 why change it ,2 you're just going to want a 360 after the 318.    A 318 will rev higher than a 360 but a 360 already has more low-end torque

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 239  is still dumping fuel like mad...
just not puffing black clouds...
the seals are leaking oil... and sounds like something is loose...
its "running" but not really...

the 318 and tranny is $200CND... so i'll rip it apart and rebuild it, plus is more power and it'll sound nicer.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
O.K. in that case , what years are these engines so we can answer your questions ?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
so we understand , 88 engines had 2 fuel injectors located where a carb ounce was ..and was called a throttle body or Throttle Body Injection (tbi ). newer engines have 1 injector for each cylinder , we're calling  EFI . the 2 systems are not the same computer . 

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dodge82273 said:
so we understand , 88 engines had 2 fuel injectors located where a carb ounce was ..and was called a throttle body or Throttle Body Injection (tbi ). newer engines have 1 injector for each cylinder , we're calling EFI . the 2 systems are not the same computer .
the 318 has an intake manifold on it for a TBI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.