Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out all I need to have more torque than the new "600" 2004 CTD is one #8 plate from Wildcat diesel- 230 bucks. I am really starting to enjoy these CTDs!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
And thats just the tip of the iceburg. ;D

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably as far as I am going to push it though- I only want a little more torque and that is about it. I am installing the DTT tranny and TC, a gauge pod, the #8 plate, and I am finished LOL- oh yeah, the KDP as well too!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Yes definately! KDPs are not talked about much when discussing Cummins engines. Yours is particulary vunerable to this, so let that be the first thing to worry about

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
I'm pretty new to the CTD stuff (just got mine last fall) so could you guys speak english? ;)

What's a #8 plate?

KDP?

Mine's a '93. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Can someone link me to a good CTD site? I am having a brainstorm right now.

I would like a CTD mated to a NV4500. I know where I can get one, but I don't know anything about the conversion to a gas engined truck.

Dunner

·
3,753 Posts
KDP= killer dowell pin. It is a small dowel pin inside thr timing cover that can come loose and fall into the timing gears in the worst case. #8 or any number plate refers to the fuel plate in `94 to early `98 CTD's, different numbers have different profiles to deliver more or less fuel.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Dunner said:
I would like a CTD mated to a NV4500.
you're not tapping into my brain by any chance, do you? I have plans for exact that swap for at least a year now ;)

Flake was faster in respect to the KDP and plate ;)

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Flake said:
KDP= killer dowell pin. It is a small dowel pin inside thr timing cover that can come loose and fall into the timing gears in the worst case. #8 or any number plate refers to the fuel plate in `94 to early `98 CTD's, different numbers have different profiles to deliver more or less fuel.
Thanks!{cool}

Dunner said:
I would like a CTD mated to a NV4500.
That's what mine is. The previous owner ditched the getrag and converted to NV4500. I'm glad he did 'cause it saved me the trouble. I didn't do the swap, but if you need measurements or anything let me know.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
http://www.flex.net/%7Etriplem/new/dowelpin.htm

here is an article on the dowel pin issue, easy fix. im in the midst of doing the swap with a 98 manual ctd and 4500, i will be starting in next week and should finish it in about 2 weeks. i gathered all the parts. i plan on taking a few pics here and there so maybe i can help others, it is a popular swap but no one seems to have anything documented to any extent. i hope to be able to help that. ihave emailed a few looking for info with no response but i will get past it as i just located a complete 92 intercooled for parts. i should have a great list of parts, im doing my entire swap for a price under 2500 bucks including the engine and driveshafts. should be pretty cool. the later model engines with manual trans already have more power to begine with so it take very little to get real power, the http://www.dodgeram.org/support_pgs/diesel_ix.htm website is a great amount of info, as well as
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

and of course the turbodieselregistry website is awesome too but you have to pay to become a member. i think it is worth it as there is a ton of good info there. thanks sam for the links

jamie

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Thanks for posting the links Jamie. :)
I think we all know that the inline six that I have right now isn't going to turn my 44 inch rubber at highway speed.

Santak, yes I am tapping into your brain! ;D
Actually I have tossed the idea around in my head for a while.

Thanks for the offer stupiddodge. I may take you up on the offer for info one day.

I have a 400 just sitting in the machine shop. But my machinist is ignoring it. I may just go there to pick it up again and say screw it with the stroker.

Sorry for the attempted hijacking of this thread. :-X

Dunner

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Isnt number 8 the lowest and as u work ur way up to number 1, it gets more powerful? I was told not to go lower than a 6 if u tow.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
guys, do we want to discuss this issue further on the tech board? I think it would make a valuable addition to our collection...some diesel tech. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will post some stuff on the tech site- I will be ordering the KDP jig- which is far easier than putting the tab on it- a 11/2 hour job as opposed to a 6 hour job! All to fix a 5 dollar piece of metal LOL- it is truly the only weak link in the CTD. 12valves are really considered better for "bombing" than the 24valves.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i agree, and best part is technically can run the thing with 3 wires hooked up. lol of course ill be wiring in the 98 computer but mainly just so i can have it like stock, but i want the heat grid to function properly using the computer timer. although they will start fine down to 35 degrees without it. of course we could always wire them up easy enough. good topic though

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok I Have a Questin what woul be a goog year to look for a donor truck whant manual trams 4x4 to put im my 83 rc

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i would say the best year for power would be the 98 12 valve as far as ease goes, but get with manual trans, all the 94-98 12 valves had a better pump, not to mention they still would only need minimal wiring to make them work well.

as for the direct bolt in package the 91 -93 would be my recommendation. just because they are intercooled and the motormounts and plumbing are there, however you could do like i am and use the 98 intercooled and rob parts off a older truck for fitment, the older models were under powered compared to the newer ones, plus there are not nearly as much upgradewise for the older ones as there are for newer ones,

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If we see one in the paper, say a 12 valve CTD with the NV4500 and the Transfer Case all together, would we ask for any extra parts from the donor truck to make it easier?

I'm thinking stuff like computer and hydraulic clutch linkage. Is there anything else needed to simplify installation into a carburated gas dodge engine swap?

I guess this may be too broad of a question.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
that is kinda broad, it would depend on the year, if it was from a 94 to 98 then you would want to get mounts from 93 down motor to be able to bolt it up. as far as computers you dont even HAVE TO use it if ya dont want to. i would say if you got the entire unit then your in good shape but if you got a 94 up combo then your tcase output will be on the wrong side anyway so you would have to change that. the perfect donor would be a 93 manual setup as the radiator support would be usable and make it easier for the intercooler and all to mount up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts