Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 203 t-case on my truck is bugging me to no end. first it spews oil from the vent, and now the pto is leaking like a mofo. im wondering if its a problem inside the case, because when i replaced the leaking gasket on the pto cover (it still leaks from the same spot), there was some thick black sludge mixed with tiny metallic flecks in the bottom of the case. is there any way to clean that out? i already tried running trans fluid through it to no avail. its looking like im going to need another rebuild, or an all new case. if so, is there any sort of 4x4 parts dealer around L.A. that could get a new case, or would it just be cheaper to have it rebuilt?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
probably be cheaper to rebuld it yoruself. it only cost me like 150 bucks when I did mine.

No, the black sludge with big metal flakes isn't normal. Black sludge with fine metal flakes is. Make sure you are using the correct fluid in it. 30 w motor oil (maybe it is 10w30, can't remember for sure) is ALL you can run in it. Anything else will burn up the bearings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
if i recall correctly you should have a vent by the out put shaft
make sure its not plugged and building pressuer.
i rebuilt mine as well its easy but i did buy the video
tape on how to do it ! i got all my parts from transtar industries
i am in to ming for around 210 i put a chain in mine
also if your not running a pto i recomend getting
the "manual transmission filter" increases your oil cap a little
and though it works correctly in reverse it is better than
what we have now i used loctite 518 st seal it up

·
7,995 Posts
In the rear housing there is supposed to be a small black foam rectangular seal. It attaches to the inside of the housing and has a hole in it for the vent. I believe it's purpose is to seal off oil flow from the rear oil pump and prevent it from coming out the vent...I'm not totally sure though. I replaced mine when I resealed the rear of the transfer case.

It's #23 in this picture and #24 is the so called oil pump.
#21 is the vent.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys. not quite sure that i can do the rebuild myself since ive never done any major mechanical work like that. how much should a professional rebuild cost? or would it be cheaper to buy a new (already rebuilt) one since i would have to take the old one out anyway?

·
Registered
145 Posts
if you have a little time get the video and you can not
screw it up(well maybe but you would have to try hard)
check out very good lots pretty much walks you through it
no special tools are needed 1 or 2 larger sockets
if you buy a junkyard one you may have to rebuilt it just dont know just be very carefull no matter what you do this is
extreamly heavy. best but is to rent a transmission jack
for a few hours to remove and install it and if you can let it
drain for a day or two it would be best i got covered with oil
you know the more i think about it you really should try to rebuild it just the thought of getting a j/y one causes pain
when i think of you having to manhandle this beast
i did most of mine on the floor

its up to you but it is not hard to at all good time to learn
if you can do this you can do a manual transmission next ;D

http://www.technicalvideos.com/videos/transfercase.phtml
http://www.kdsperformance.com/trancasrebvi.html

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are the cases from boyce rebuilt, or just pulled out of the old truck? yes i know it would be a mother to take it out, because the last time it got rebuilt, the shop charged 500 bucks just for the drop and re-install. isn't it one of the heaviest transfer cases ever built?

·
Registered
145 Posts
i dont know for sure but usualy a take out is just a used case
like from the junk yard.
dam 500 bucks i would do in all day long for that
its easy
i think around 150-180 pounds and think is the key word

on your leak any chance you over tightened the pto cover?
did you use gasket sealer?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
yes they are one of the heavier cases out there, dependiong on what you read they weigh between 170-225 pounds.

one of mine weighed 205 pounds filled with fluid, the other i have weighed about 185 empty. could be a variance in the casting used. but make no mistakes they are heavy mofo's

eric

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Boyce equipment is in Ogden Utah, NOT Idaho. I got one of their $150.00 used gov't surplus TC's a couple of years ago. They're really kind of hit and miss. I personally got a fairly decent one which has been fairly trouble free, however others haven't been as lucky, and the chains have stretched and jumped on them after a short amount of time. So the used surplus TC's are a gamble, but at a $150, they're a great price, even if you end up rebuilding them. Saturn Surplus has some government rebuilt units for sale for $375:

http://saturnsurplus.com/differentials/transfer.htm

I haven't seen any feed back on these. All I know is from what I've seen on their web site. Unless you live in Pennsylvania, you're going to get creamed on shipping costs for a 250 lb TC, so you might want to consider that before deciding on one of these.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trkmec said:
i dont know for sure but usualy a take out is just a used case
like from the junk yard.
dam 500 bucks i would do in all day long for that
its easy
i think around 150-180 pounds and think is the key word

on your leak any chance you over tightened the pto cover?
did you use gasket sealer?
i used aircraft grade sealent (thick brown stuff) which has always worked great. i dont think i overtightened the bolts because the bolt holes on the cover were a little beat so i didnt want to warp them. i went out yesterday and re-tightened them, and it leaked more, so i guess i either broke the gasket or squeezed out some extra oil that was in there. been to afraid to see if its still leakin or not.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
McGuyver said:
Boyce equipment is in Ogden Utah, NOT Idaho. I got one of their $150.00 used gov't surplus TC's a couple of years ago. They're really kind of hit and miss. I personally got a fairly decent one which has been fairly trouble free, however others haven't been as lucky, and the chains have stretched and jumped on them after a short amount of time. So the used surplus TC's are a gamble, but at a $150, they're a great price, even if you end up rebuilding them. Saturn Surplus has some government rebuilt units for sale for $375:

http://saturnsurplus.com/differentials/transfer.htm

I haven't seen any feed back on these. All I know is from what I've seen on their web site. Unless you live in Pennsylvania, you're going to get creamed on shipping costs for a 250 lb TC, so you might want to consider that before deciding on one of these.
i contacted saturn surplus as to how much shipping would cost to California. for a 375 dollar transfer case (a good deal since they are already rebuilt) it costs 360 bucks to ship. since i would have to drop and install the case anyway, a rebuild locally only costs 500. guess which one i would opt for...(if i had the money)

·
7,995 Posts
To keep it running for now, why don't you get another gasket. This time make sure the holes in the cover are flat...you can use a hammer to true them up. Use a thin coat of silicone sealer and TORQUE the bolts down. Since you are in CA you should be able to find 1000 different places to contact about a rebuilt transfer case. Try poking around at this link below...it has a number of places to contact.

http://www.transonline.com/TOBuyersGuide/LocationInfo.cfm?LocationID=2720

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do all 203's have PTO? I can't say I spen alot of time looking at mine but I never noticed one.

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.