Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang - are there any Chevy experts in the house, specifically regarding 2006-2015 Suburbans and Yukon XLs and the 5.3l and 6.0l and 6.2l engines?  If so pls PM me - we've got some questions and need some advice we can trust - hence this RCC ping ;)

The bottom line question is this:  We're looking at a 2010 Yukon XL, 5.3, 168k miles, $12.900.  Overall in nice shape - has the options we need including the full trailer towing package and integrated brake controller.  The question is when are the 5.3 engines 'done'?  Is 168k too close to the expiration date that it's not worth buying, or is there still plenty of life left to use for a few years?

Thanks!

- Sam

·
Registered
303 Posts
My GM friends around here (Detroit), would not be depending on a rig like that for much more then a local grocery getter, winter ride...  That was the light duty end of their tow package series. 

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...we're actually now zeroing in on a 2011 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0l and HD 6-speed with 3.73 gears

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
agreed - pretty much everything is the HD version, which I'd prefer whether we're towing a trailer or not

·
Registered
93 Posts
The LS series motors are very nearly bombproof; one of the strongest blocks Chevy has ever made. I think the 1/2 ton stuff is still running the corporate 10 bolt rear, and those are prone to housing bends and bearing problems when towing with them. The 12 and 14 bolt reads are much stronger, and the 3/4 tons should have the 4L80E, which is a fairly stout transmission. The only other advice I can offer is if it has displacement on demand (or whatever they call it), get rid of it. That system is known to starve the rear cylinders of oil for some reason...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.