Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ran this truck for a year with no problems. I swapped out the HVAC controler for a used one and after that the interior lights stayed on and the speedo is pegged.

What is going on here? No door ajar light just the lights stay on a the speedo is pegged.

I can strip patrs off the other Durango I have but it's a crap shoot.

Do I need to take it to a dealer and have them reflash the PCM?

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
did you swap it out with the battery hooked up which is a NO NO , probly fried it
yes I swapped out the HVAC with the bat hooked up. But I disconnected the head light switch, HVAC, 4x4 switch.

So what did I fry? The ECU or the time delay for the dome lights?

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
the DASH cluster and the Lighting module , both of them a computer in it , they dont like voltage spikes at all

disco the battery and put the old Hvac back in to see if fixes the problem , if it does then you do need the dealer

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
the DASH cluster and the Lighting module , both of them a computer in it , they dont like voltage spikes at all

disco the battery and put the old Hvac back in to see if fixes the problem , if it does then you do need the dealer
Already did that.

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So will a PCM from a 2000 work on a 2002?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I would suspect the central timer module.  Left side behind the kick panel...when I worked at the dealership one half or the other would go bad and cause all sorts of weird interior issues.  There are two fuses in the PDM under the hood....CTM A and CTM B  check those first.  If I remember correctly the power comes form front junction box and ground goes through the CTM, so if you get a short to ground on the wire going out of the CTM to the lights anywhere they stay on all the time.  I have an 01 Durango FSM at home so if you need anything form that I can send you pics. 

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l was gonna get to the CTM , a little at a time when your dealing with rookies [ changing modules with battery hooked up] besides there's tons of diagnostics to be done before getting to that [ battery disconnected while do,in it]

being a 45 year ASE Master Mechanic specializing in Automotive Electronic Diagnostics [ retired 2015 ]

electronic diagnostics is very time consuming [ 2001 and newer] because of all the control modules involved and is not something you can shotgun [ run a new wire and be done]

also every suggestion starts with disco'in the battery and waiting 10 minutes or more [ PCM memory takes that long to clear ]

to start disco the battery and leave the hvac control unplugged / hook batt up / does problems go away
yes , bad Hvac // No , burnt another Mod

disco batt [wait 10 mins] disco dash cluster / hook batt / do lights go out
yes bad cluster / No go to another Mod

disco batt / plug cluster & Hvac in / disco CTM / do problem go away
yes bad CTM // No go to another Mod

found a recall for your problem if it applies

http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2002/V/RCDNN-02V322-5808.PDF

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
hate to say it but by not following basic electronic computer controlled diagnostics and component replacement [ 1996 and newer ] you created your own problems by try,in to fix something

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
2002 Dodge Durango Recall
Item Affected: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Date Announced: 09/07/2006
Description of Recall:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FRONT BENCH SEATS ONLY, IF FLUID IS SPILLED FROM THE FLOOR MOUNTED CUP HOLDER, AN UNUSED CONSOLE POWER OUTLET CONNECTOR LOCATED UNDER THE SEAT MAY BECOME CONTAMINATED.
Action Need To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE CONSOLE WIRING CONNECTOR FOR CORROSION, CLEAN AS REQUIRED, AND INSTALL A CAP TO PREVENT ADDITIONAL FLUID FROM CONTAMINATING THE CONNECTOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 30, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLER CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Item Affected: SUSPENSION: FRONT: HUB
Date Announced: 10/20/2008
Description of Recall:
SKF IS RECALLING 2,805 HUB UNITS, PART NO. BR930361, SOLD AS A SERVICE PART FOR 1997-2004 DODGE DAKOTA VEHICLES AND 1999-2003 DODGE DURANGO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2-WHEEL DRIVE & REAR AXLE ABS. DUE TO A SPECIFICATION ERROR, THE ROTOR PILOT FOR THE HUB UNIT MAY BE TOO LONG. THIS RESULTS IN THE WHEEL TO NOT BE SEATED FULLY AGAINST THE HUB FLANGE FACE DURING MOUNTING.
Action Need To Fix It:
SKF WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE HUB UNITS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 5, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SKF VSM NORTH AMERICA CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-644-8999.

Item Affected: POWER TRAIN: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: LEVER AND LINKAGE: COLUMN SHIFT
Date Announced: 12/04/2007
Description of Recall:
ON CERTAIN VAN AND PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, THE IGNITION/PARK SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM MAY BECOME INOPERATIVE. THIS CAN ALLOW THE SHIFTER TO BE MOVED OUT OF THE "PARK" POSITION WITH THE IGNITION KEY REMOVED (OR IN THE "LOCK" POSITION). THIS CAN ALSO ALLOW THE IGNITION KEY TO BE REMOVED WHEN THE SHIFTER HAS NOT BEEN PLACED IN THE "PARK" POSITION.
Action Need To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE GEARSHIFT BLOCKER AND BRACKET ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Item Affected: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Date Announced: 03/15/2006
Description of Recall:
CERTAIN REPLACEMENT K&N FUEL PERFORMANCE KITS, P/NOS. 57-1509, 57-1511, 57-1511-1, 57-1517, 57-1517-1, 57-1527, AND 57-1530. ALSO, A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THESE KITS WERE SOLD UNDER THE MOPAR PERFORMANCE PARTS BRAND NAME (P/NOS. P5007069 AND P5007070). ALL KITS WERE MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 20, 1999, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 23, 2004. THESE ASSEMBLIES WERE MANUFACTURED AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT FOR CERTAIN DODGE PICKUP TRUCKS AND SUVS. A SMALL PIECE OF MATERIAL FROM THE TUBE WALL COULD BE SUCKED INTO THE ENGINE THROTTLE BODY, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE THROTTLE TO BECOME JAMMED IN THE OPEN POSITION.
Action Need To Fix It:
K&N WILL PROVIDE OWNERS WITH A FREE REPAIR KIT ALONG WITH REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 20, 2006.

Item Affected: VISIBILITY: WINDSHIELD WIPER / WASHER
Date Announced: 05/05/2004
Description of Recall:
ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MODULE MOTOR MAY BE SUSCEPTIBLE TO WATER INTRUSION THAT COULD CAUSE INTERNAL CORROSION AND RESULT IN PARTIAL OR COMPLETE LOSS OF FRONT WINDSHIELD WIPING CAPABILITY.
Action Need To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT WINDSHIELD WIPER MODULE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JULY 12, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Item Affected: SUSPENSION: FRONT: CONTROL ARM: UPPER BALL JOINT
Date Announced: 12/21/2004
Description of Recall:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4X4), IF MOISTURE LEAKS INTO THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER BALL JOINT, EVACUATION OF THE LUBRICANT AND CORROSION OF THE JOINT MAY CAUSE THE JOINT TO WEAR OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. THIS COULD CAUSE A CLUNKING NOISE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION, WHICH MAY NOT ALWAYS BE HEARD BY THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.
Action Need To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER BALL JOINTS. THIS SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON DECEMBER 21, 2004. OWNERS CAN CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the battery was not connected when I put the old HVAC module and headlight switch. But it was when first put the used HVAC module in. After I put that in is when the dome lights stayed on (not known to me) and killed the battery. So I drop a new battery in and all was good but I still didn't have heat. Took it for a test drive and the dome lights came back on and stayed on. I disconnected the battery again and change out the HVAC module and a head light switch (thinking the dome light switch burnt fast) only to have the same thing happen all was fine then the dome lights came on and stayed on. Now the speedo is pegged and the dome lights stay on all the time.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
electronic diagnostics is very time consuming [ 2001 and newer] because of all the control modules involved and is not something you can shotgun [ run a new wire and be done]

also every suggestion starts with disco'in the battery and waiting 10 minutes or more [ PCM memory takes that long to clear ]

to start disco the battery and leave the hvac control unplugged / hook batt up / does problems go away

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DODGEBOYS said:

I hate the new stuff. heck it took me 2 months and $200 on part to find out that the new parts were bad, I had a poor ground to the ECU and a bad wire to a line pressure sensor. So fixed the ground and the wire, I put the factory parts back on and adjusted the TPS and now the O/D works in the 93 CTD. ::)

Gonna pull the CTM out of the 2000 and put it in the 2002 and see where I'm at.

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks like the CTM from a 2000 will not work in an 02.  :mad:  Gonna have to buy one now.  :mad: :mad:

Figures!  ::)

What would happen if I just disconnect it?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
mopar65pa said:
looks like the CTM from a 2000 will not work in an 02. :mad: Gonna have to buy one now. :mad: :mad:

Figures! ::)

What would happen if I just disconnect it?
It controls headlights, tailights, door ajar chime noise, when your dome lights will turn on when doors open, rear windshield wiper, wiper intermitent speeds, that feature where your door locks lock auto after a certain distance, Remote Keyless Entry

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mopar572 said:
It controls headlights, tailights, door ajar chime noise, when your dome lights will turn on when doors open, rear windshield wiper, wiper intermitent speeds, that feature where your door locks lock auto after a certain distance, Remote Keyless Entry
:mad: dang new fangled stuff I need the truck this weekend!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.