Dodge RamCharger Central banner
261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just read the whole thread.  Your Dak has gone thru quite a transformation!  Do you trailer it to most off-road trails, or is it streetable enough to drive from home?

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Thanks.

I street drive it locally all the time and to trails within about an hour drive.  But most of my wheeling is over 300 miles away, and my Ram will tow it at a higher speed, with more comfort, and with better fuel economy than just driving it.  Plus I've always got a way home if it breaks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There's a plus to having a reliable tugboat!  How does the fuel economy compare from V6 to the 5.9L and different gears?

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I've never calculated it.  I'm sure highway mileage isn't great with either engine, but I know the 5.9 uses a little bit more fuel on the trails than the 3.9 would use.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
KThaxton said:
I can't believe you don't track the mileage of your off-road rig. ;)
I just drive it. {noclue}

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Picked up a Raider topper, easiest upgrade yet.

The color doesn't match the truck, but it matches the wheels... close enough. {blah}

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do I spy Wyoming mudflaps on your Utah rig?  Nice pics.  That topper looks good.  And it'll keep your gear dry!

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Hemiadda2d said:
Do I spy Wyoming mudflaps on your Utah rig? Nice pics. That topper looks good. And it'll keep your gear dry!
Yes, it has Wyoming mud flaps. Utah requires mud flaps on lifted trucks, and I didn't want anything boring or hokey. I originally had a Bestop vinyl tonneau cover that did a decent job keeping things dry, but this gives me more room when I take an extended trip.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Went on a short local wheeling trip this weekend up Providence Canyon.  It was a very hot 100oF in the valley, so I had the A/C cranking all day.  Unfortunately I only got a few pictures.  {noclue}

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
On days like that, the guys in open top, stripped-down and doorless 'wheelers make your cabbed truck look way smarter. ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Spent a few days in Sand Hollow last week.  We did Renegade, Double Sammy, Plan B, and John's Trail.  These were definitely "Jeep" trails as the truck received a few scars.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
This is a neat place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
great pics - glad to see a mid-size can at least do some of the trails there {cool}

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Mad Max said:
great pics - glad to see a mid-size can at least do some of the trails there {cool}
Day 2 required near constant front locker usage, made my rear driveshaft look like a barber pole, bent the rear bumper, and scratched the paint on most body panels. Mid-size can do the trails, but it's a lot more work.

KThaxton said:
Sand Hollow is awesome.
I bet it was warm!
Not bad really. Friday was the warmest, but my AC worked very well and the truck never got hot.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Moab wheeling over Thanksgiving.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Thanks Jim.  {cool}

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
When I'm out adventuring one common problem seems to be navigation, both off-road and in unfamiliar cities.  Of course I used my phone, but I wanted something better.  So I finally cut up my dash and installed a 7" Android double DIN stereo called "ATOTO S8 Standard".  Because it is Android I can install most apps from the Google Play store.  This opens a world of possibilities.  Also it has a backup camera, and wireless CarPlay.

I had hoped to use the OnX Offroad map app, but it just doesn't work on a fixed landscape orientation, and it doesn't work with CarPlay.  I will be investigating other apps (Magellan, Gia, etc...) but for now I just downloaded certain Google maps regions for off-line use.

Attachments

261 - 280 of 288 Posts