Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at some Dodges online and found a 2 wheel drive for the right price that is in much nicer shape than my 4 wheel drive. Is it possible to convert a 2 wheel drive 87 D250 to 4 wheel drive using the components off my 90 W250? Let me know ur thoughts. Thanks.

-Jesse

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yes it is possible.  If you frame is in good shape on your w250, it would be easier to swap bodies and or engines (IMO).

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Only reason to really swap from 2 to 4 is is it wasnt made like my buddys 78 Crewcab Longbox Cummings 4wd. Was a Factory BB 2wd. If one is a longbox and other a shortbox its just how bad you want a 4wd but if same truck just diff yr and 2 and 4wd than a body swap is probably 100times easier. I wanted to do it to my 78 Shortbox but people want to much for thier junk and my buddy works with a guy that wants it so it goes byebye monday

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just thought I'd through in my  {2cents} . If your going to swap the cab's as well , You will need to cut out the tran's hump's and swap them from the 90 4x4 to the 87 2 wd , to make room for the T case and shifter . Allso , I'll assume that the 87 is carbed and the 90 is injected , so you'll have to concider that as well but it should'nt be to big a deal .  But I agree that the body swap is the way to go If the frame and running gear is in such good condition on your 90 and the body is that good on the 87 . My own 79 step side is a 2 wd body sitting on a 77 4x4 frame .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts