Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I finally registered here after reading everything on this site for about a year now. I'm working on my 88 ramcharger 4x4 (5.2 318) and am planning on lifting it. I've decided on a small lift of merely superlift OEM springs and thier add-a-leaf kit for all four sides, but am undecided on a body lift. I am thinking of a 2 inch body lift, but have heard you might have to lengthen the steering shaft, brake lines, and possible the transmission lines/cables, I would love to do this on my own at school (we have lifts there) so as not to have to pay labor, but will it require all the mods i mentioned? and any other help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
mike

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if yer gonna do a 2" body lioft, may as well do 3". Unles you want to do it all over again in the future.

yes, you may have to lenghten the shift linkage, and the steering shaft, but tranny lines are ok. You will have to re-route them tho.

You will also have to drop the radiator the same amount as the lift, or cut out the bottom of the shroud.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info,
i was going the route of 2" body cause i'm in jersey and i've heard that if you lift more than 4" you have to get it specially inspected, and it will be about that after the body and add-a-leaf, but correct me if i'm wrong.
forgive the ignorant questions, but i have a couple more.
-as far as the steering mods, most body kits should come with that right? or will i have to find them separatly?
-do they make new mounts for the radiator or is it easy enough to modify myself without any welding? (not fortunate enough to have a welder kit)
mike

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
radiator...just drill new holes lower...they may already be there...mine were.

steering, yeah some kits come with the parts.

that 4" is probably suspension...not body & suspension

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If I get around to it, I should take photos of my steering linkage. It's for the manual NP435 though. Not sure what you're packing in your dodge.

All of my steering linkage had to be lengthened. In three locations.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Just a F.Y.I. ........... here is the life laws for NJ. ......... "the maximum allowable hight is 13 feet, 6 inches, and the headlights can be no higher than 54 inches while tailights top off at 72 inches. lifting your truck 4 inches over the origional hight is ok" i hope that helps. David

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the feedback guys, now to get specific:

theramchargerman - radiator sounds easy enough and i'll call the store about the body kit before i buy it just to make sure about the parts - 4 in suspension does make sense, so i think i might go with the 3 in body afterall (you can never go wrong with more height!)

mokele - pictures would be great, thanks, but i think i have a different shaft, the previous owner put a new one it, and i'll have to check to see which it is (i believe it's not stock though)
thesasquach - thanks for the measurements, i'll have to measure my truck to see what i can do for it - and after looking, i did end up finding a llink to new jersey laws on lifting trucks
appreciate all the responses and keep em coming!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I'm in the process of doin a body lift.. ( after a body swap) the kit should be here tomorrow (friday) & then i can give you some of the specifics of what is included in the kit...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good tazman,
what height/manufacturer lift are you using? and which RC are you doing it on? i think the bodies differ from year to year, unless the main important parts stay the same

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Mokele Mbembe said:
If I get around to it, I should take photos of my steering shift linkage. It's for the manual NP435 though. Not sure what you're packing in your dodge.

All of my steering shift linkage had to be lengthened. In three locations.
Sorry, I meant to say "shift linkage"
For steering linkage i used a collapsable setup from a 1997 Ram. Double ujoints, and a ragjoint on the top end. from the 85.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahh yes that does make more sense now that i think about it.
i just have the stock automatic trans (not sure which one it is)with the column shifter.
the collapsable setup you referred to meant the whole steering column and the u-joints and ragjoint you attatched to the end to lengthen it due to the lift correct?
i seem to remember the super lift body lift at truckperformance.com only appying to models with the collapsable steering, could you or anyone else explain why that might be? and what a collapsable steering shaft is?
thanks much

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Mokele Mbembe said:
Mokele Mbembe said:
If I get around to it, I should take photos of my steering shift linkage. It's for the manual NP435 though. Not sure what you're packing in your dodge.

All of my steering shift linkage had to be lengthened. In three locations.
Sorry, I meant to say "shift linkage"
For steering linkage i used a collapsable setup from a 1997 Ram. Double ujoints, and a ragjoint on the top end. from the 85.
I wanna see pics of the steering shaft.....

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The collapsible part makes it the right length. It's like a tube with a smaller diameter tube inside it. I'll find a pic.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If a 4" suspension lift is OK, I'd say just buy the front 4" Lift springs from RoughCountry, get a drop pitman arm for the PS box, and do the ultra-cool, but low buck 4" Rear shackle flip out back. Keeping the rear springs stock is pretty neat, 'cause then it will ride nice and have lots of flex.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brutus - i never thought of doing that. i am replacing all the springs anyway, so using the 4" springs up front would be cheap enough. as far as the rear shackle flip goes, the shackle is the piece that attatches the springs to the frame right? and would it still give me about 4" to make the truck even?
thanks for the idea

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
raven61225 said:
sounds good tazman,
what height/manufacturer lift are you using? and which RC are you doing it on? i think the bodies differ from year to year, unless the main important parts stay the same
I'm doing the body lift on a 88 4x r/c frame with a 85 r/c body.. the body lift is made by these guys.
http://www.performanceaccessories.com/
;D The shipping got mixed up so it is delayed :( but when it gets here, i will post a pic & detail all that is included.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tazman - i took at look at that site, and they really do make them good, it should have everything you and i need for the lift. unfortunately though i have the single piece steering shaft and will have to get a new shaft.

man this is looking complicated for me right now. this RC is my daily driver and i can't afford to have it off the road for more than one day (sunday is all i have between work and school).

i might stick with brutus's idea, might be easier and quicker, then save the body lift for later. if any of you have any pics or reviews of how the work went though, i would love to have em, it'll help make my decision more informed.
Thanks again for the responses

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I have my body up on 2x4's stacked.. it = 3" so.. lookin at my steering, i have to have close to 3" added to my steering shaft IF i stick with the stock setup... I took the shift linkage off and have it soaking to loosten it up.. there is a lot of room for adjustment in mine. ( automatic 727) I want to look at the junk yards around here & look for the 1997 rams & see what the steering shaft looks like.. Might be worth converting if it is close...(& cheap)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Well, i got my kit today & installed it... The kit consisted of 10-3" blocks, & a bag of bolts, nuts, & washers. It also came with a 2" piece of round stock to cut your shift linkage & weld in. My r/c's steering column was shot, so i found a 86 model p/u & got the column out of it & installed in the r/c.. After the install, I needed about 2" to hook up to the steering shaft... So, i used 3 rag joints & put them all together to make it work for now... This is a pic of the box and the after effects the lift kit & new 85 body. I would say it is really easy to do.. just make sure you have a good floor jack & somebody to help ya.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts