Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 and I need to do something about my catalytic converter. What I want to know is if I can take and Y the to pipes into one, and place a pipe it the place of the cat, with threads for the O2 sensor. Will this set up work or will there be issue with the O2 sensor not reading correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
It won't work. The computer will freak out when it sees the readings from the O2 sensors---and realizes there is not cat....

OBD I you could probably get away with removing the cat, OBD II (which your '99 has) no way. Leave the catalytic converter alone.

-SM

·
Registered
321 Posts
you could go to a hi-flow cat
the stock are pretty good flow anyway
for big improvment look at a larger intake throttle body like fastman
made a huge diff on my 2001 with a 318

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i reson i am asking its because the cat that is on it has a 5 inch hole in it, the rock was taller then i thought... but that are the prices in looking at for a new one?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Look for information on Cat boxes, or O2 simulators for the OBDII vehicles. I've run across several guys that have gotten rif of the cats on OBDII Dodges. Without the O2 simulator you will usually get a MIL.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I have a '99 with the cat removed......no problems. better power and mileage too. you must build a small closedend piece of pipe with a o2 sensor bung on the other end to put the behind the cat o2 sensor into after removing the cat. if you leave it in the pipe you will get a check engine light for a bad cat, if you leave it out in the air your mileage goes to crap because all it reads is the open air and richens you up so bad it will kill the mileage. By putting it in a short closed piece of pipe you limit the o2 getting to it so you don't have the problem.......I speak from expirience

DB426 ;D

·
7,995 Posts
Why not go to a local muffler shop and have them install a new universal cat or try Checker Auto parts for a new Y pipe/cat. Their catalog lists a Walker 50505 for around $227. Don't forget it wont pass emissions testing if the cat is gone. If you dont have emissions tests the Feds do not like you to tamper with the original exhaust system. I would do it right and then you dont have to fool around with it every other week.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I gutted the cat and reinstalled it on my 98 in the spring. No problems yet. Runs just like it used to and no decrease in mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts