Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I have found my 1998 doner truck. Its a 4x4 with a reciently installed 360 MPFI, that is really a 6.1 performance engine about 8,000 miles or so ago. Have a question about the transmission and transfer case.

Can that electronic automatic (4xR something) and transfer case (NVxxx something) go into my 86 RamCharger 4x4 in place of the 727 and the NP208? I was not counting on finding a whole truck that runs to use as a doner for my upgrades. Will I have to re-locate a cross member to allow support for the tail of the transmission?

Additionally would I be able to swap both front and rear differentials too. Over all would swapping the entire drive line, engine, tranny, transfer case, drive shafts, front diff and rear diff and rear spring be a good idea.

Its a short bed P/U 4x4.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
well the t case used in the 94 up 1500's is a NV231 and they are weaker then the NP208's. The biggest thing is the axle shaft and differential is on the oppisite side. So if you want to use the tcase then you would have to use the front axle from the other truck. The newer trucks have a completely different suspension setup so you would need to convert something. You can do anything with know how, patience and money. Is it worth it though? The axles are the same type as in Dana 44 up front and Chrysler 9 1/4 in the rear. So your not really gaining anything.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you're wanting to swap that much.. what kind of shape is the frame on the donor truck.. It may be easier to make it 106" wheelbase.. and just drop the RamCharger body on it. You'll also need to swap the wiring harness to control the tranny and FI. I've also seen where you can adapt the newer style dash to the older trucks.
Just something to think about.
Aaron

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of changing the axles because my rear is in need of a new ring an pinion if I keep it. I have over 250,000 miles on the 86 and the 98 has maybe 150,000 miles or about that.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will my NP208 fit on that electronic automatic with out an adapter of any sorts? If not I can notch my 727 and use everything of mine transmission and transfer-case that won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The 208 should bolt up no problem. You would need to come up with a different rear mount and bracket for the tranny. I believe that the OD transmission is completely computer controlled that year so it needs a computer to run it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chrysler300le said:
The 208 should bolt up no problem. You would need to come up with a different rear mount and bracket for the tranny. I believe that the OD transmission is completely computer controlled that year so it needs a computer to run it.
The computer will not be a problem, will have that to manage the MPFI of the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts