Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. Although it’s not a ramcharger, I figured since I own a couple 1st gens, I could try for help here with this new project lol. I recently purchased a 1997 Dakota 4x4 club cab auto with the v6. Bought it for a farm truck, from a guy who said it ran until his nephew cut the radio harness to install an aftermarket radio. He said it set off the alarm and they never could get it to start. Since I got it, I replaced the cut harness with a factory one from the local yard. The truck won’t start. It turns over, but no fire. Test light at the fuel pump plug says no power to pump. I’m open to suggestions. The ECM was replaced by the former owner with an Autozone reman unit. I’ve pulled the door panels, but of the door lock sensor wires have been jumped by someone else. Truck is pre chip key. The previous owner bought it from the original owner, and was told it did not have keyless entry, so no fobs. I’m open to suggestions.....I’ve spent 18 hours with an ohmeter and test light looking for breaks and checking grounds. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
blown fuseable link fuse thingie in the power distribution box under the hood ? OR like a '94 jeep we had , the connections under that box going TO the fuses were corroded all to hell , cleaned up and it ran  ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the first things I checked. They did away with that fusible link I believe in 96, and 97 would be one of the first years with a fuse panel under the hood. Power distribution center or something like that for a fancy name. Checked all that too. The gauge has the “security” dummy light indicated anytime the battery is hooked up. And when you turn the key to run, the odometer blinks. Sometimes after a few blinks it will say “no bus”

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
my '92 and the '93 dakota had the power distribution box under the hood , in it is some square fuses which ARE the new version of fuseable  links , on the '94 jeep I spoke about , that square fuse was NOT working , the wire connections UNDERNEATH the fuse were bad , so what does no bus mean ? the buss fuse is bad ? sorry IDK 

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
"NO Bus" means either loss of power to the PCM or loss of communication [serial data] between the different modules , you have "body - dash - tranny - engine , the diagnostics on this is to only unplug one at a time and see if the motor runs , with the dash blinking l,d unplug that first

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll give it a try as soon as I can. Been dealing with hurricane preparations the past week and haven’t had much time for diagnostics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.