Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
can you post pics of what is on yours? both the ones one my 89 and 93 are the same and bolt on. they do not use a snap on. i would guess if yours are snap on they have been replaced in the past with something off a different brand since the dodge setup is not really convenient to replace but then again they don't usually go bad very often.
this one might work but is a bit longer on both closed and extended. not sure if it is that big of a deal

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have owned about 15 Ramchargers, most being 89 to 93 all had the snap on lift gate strut, I have had some of the 83 year range, and remembered that the older ones I had owned had a round eyelet strut, with a different bracket, need to dig out my older Ramcharger service books to look, but got pictures of one in the scrap yard 1982 I think and it has the eyelet type struts, with the different bracket
Thanks for the info because that strut should work.

·
Registered
31,917 Posts
here is what l found out , the snap on struts were an after market upgrade that replaced all factory hardware , the FSM and the FPB confirm that ALL 1981 to 1993 came stock with the "bolt thru struts " , as both books show and list the 'bolt thru design as stock " the diagram below is right out of the 1993 FSM and the parts book confirms it

·
Registered
31,917 Posts
parts book diagram , it does not show the top of the strut but lists # 5 the bolt as requiring 4 of them to mount the struts

·
Registered
275 Posts
.I've had a bunch of R/C's through the years. None of them had the snap-on style. Frankly, I've never seen them even with all my junkyard searches which go back many years. The three I still have (85, and two 92's) have the 4 bolt style. Should be able to convert them back from what may be an aftermarket "upgrade". There should be four nuts in both the liftgate and the body. Shouldered bolts go in 'em

Here's a couple of pics of how mine attach. This is the body, next pic is the liftgate. These are replacements form Rockauto....
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
.....maybe it'll be helpful

Reactions: SuperBurban
21 - 28 of 28 Posts