Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble finding this in wrecking yards.  Dodge dealer says this is no longer available, also 2 warehouses are telling me the aftermarkets are no longer made?????  Don't sound right to me.
Is this not the same condensor as in a D150 pickup?  And also, won't this go back at least to an '87? 
I have a '93 5.9L LE.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
hummm what's shipping ........ your talking about the thing by the radiator ? or the one in the dash ? I should have a coupla of 'em ...

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
BigRock91 said:
Having trouble finding this in wrecking yards. Dodge dealer says this is no longer available, also 2 warehouses are telling me the aftermarkets are no longer made????? Don't sound right to me.
Is this not the same condensor as in a D150 pickup? And also, won't this go back at least to an '87?
I have a '93 5.9L LE.
The systems are near identical, but maybe the fittings changed? When they went to the Magnum engine a few things changed. You could check with Bouchillon Performance. They stock a LOT of AC parts and maybe can help find a suitable replacement from their stock.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Rock Auto says they have 4 left.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Rock Auto says they have 4 left.
When we ran out of trim pieces, I said to myself, okay, I can make do. Now you can't find brake boosters and HVAC parts have gotten hard to source. Reaching the end of the line on these trucks. I guess considering mine is almost 35 years old, that's not crazy, but it is sad. Keeping them running is going to get trickier soon.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Imagine the states like Pa, where they have the state inspection, and many places the emissions test. The city I lived in, you cannot even have a non inspected vehicle on your property, unless it was in a garage. I ended up scrapping my 86 RC, because of all the rust on the underside, exhaust system, and worn out spring and shackle bushings. You take it in for inspection, and if it does not pass, they can remove the good sticker, even if it has not expired yet. Then you cannot drive it home. Back then, you could not get the spring bushings anywhere. So it was new springs all around, The tail pipe, and crossover had pinhole leaks, And the rust was at the rear body frame, into the corners where the hatchback closes. It looked fine until they poked it with a screwdriver. It was all much more then I could afford, and I had no place to legally park it, so I ended up taking it to the scrapper. Made me sick, but at that time, I had no choice.

Many years prior, I almost did the same to a Subaru. It just started smoking like crazy out the exhaust. I replaced the valve seals, and did the timing belt, and a bunch of other seals while I was there. It still smoked like crazy, I took it to two different Subaru dealers, they both said the engine needed rebuilt, which was out of my budget then. After getting two tickets for uninspected vehicle, I had time to really look at it. it was an 86 cent gasket for the turbo charger. Also had the oil port going through the gasket, and it was pumping oil right into the exhaust, at the turbo. I do not believe the dealers never had the gasket go bad like that.

Sorry, I wandered off track. Yes, it is going to get ugly with many parts. The booster will likely be among the first, as many are original, and just starting to go bad. With no known workaround right now.  The you have the door latches, that never were made aftermarket, and many are wearing out, and having the plastic on the latch part start peeling off. Steering col parts. And ?

Whats next? heater core, AC evap, wiper motor, blower motor, heater control cables, Wiper & heater switches, To name a few I can think of right off.

I guess we should start making a list, and any known substitutes, or workarounds.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
If it were a cheap, on-its-last-legs, rusted out truck, it wouldn't bother me. But I have $$ invested in the engine, transmission, bed liner, exhaust, glass, snow plow/hydraulic pump, hours in wiring, etc. It irks me to no end that a $100 in unavailable parts could take out a $10,000 truck. At least for now it has little wear on the replaced parts that it should last me a good bit longer. I figure if the day comes I could part it out.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
go unbolt a hydro boost off an old (78) chevy p/u / 1 ton ? or a new( 2000's) international 1 1/2 ton , install that , or realize many disc brake autos years ago had NO booster , example ; 1966 Barracuda S, 4 piston discs , manual , and even manual quick ration steering box .... 1960 full size ford , no power nuthin , it did have a optional heater .

the inter hydro , it has a small electric motor , p/s fails / engine stalls? apply brakes and electric pump makes the boost for stopping ... a simple set up with more reserve than GM's accumulator system . 

·
Registered
649 Posts
Time to start adapting generic parts and parts from other vehicles.  I am adding AC to my 82 RC right now and I am using a generic aftermarket condenser, generic aftermarket hoses and fittings, I had to buy the crimping tool to make the hoses, and a generic aftermarket underdash AC evaporator unit.  Just like they did way back in the 50 and 60s before factory air was a common option.  The problem on the 81-up RCs is the utter lack of space under the dash and the transfer case shifter getting in the way of the evaporator.  I am either going to have to build a console to mount the evaporator unit or find a way to bend the transfer case shifter arm or fabricate a new shifter arm that puts the arm about five inches to the right of where it is now.

The end result will be a AC system that will run modern refrigerant but can be serviced by me using generic pieces.  Including tool purchases, I probably have around $500 invested in parts, which is less than the custom fit systems on the market (which aren't offered for a RC anyway). 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.