Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be more challenging for me, this cluster does not have the little gears that I have replaced in the past, must be electronic?
Checked the gear and the pickup in the transfer case, it looks to be in good shape, odometer shows 81,000, owner said they drove it maybe 2000 miles since it quite working.
So were do I start, not very good with electronic issues.

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
so yes it does have the little gears , now it has a little electric motor that turns them , if you do the test below and it fails the motor is shot [ it can be replaced and the gears also ]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One step at a time, pulled the gauge cluster out, volt meter has tone on the back side of cluster at the three connections in the picture, did not pull the odometer out of cluster?
So is the little electric motor good?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two other 1993 gauge clusters, pulled the speedo out of all three, two out of the three had continuity between the polls, so is the board on the back bad?

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
I have two other 1993 gauge clusters, pulled the speedo out of all three, two out of the three had continuity between the polls, so is the board on the back bad?

the PIN's for the speedo stick straight thru the cluster housing to the back and then the wires hook straight to it [ the board is a small thing on the back of the speedo and NOT part of the PCM ]

it.s just an electro mechanical mechanism = it reads the "speed' of the pulses from the speed sensor and the little electric motor spins the gears to match

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
Any Recommendation?
NOT really as l have every FSM Chrysler has ever made that was available to the dealerships , the "rebuilder" manuals [ electronics ] radio's - dash clusters PCM's and the like were Never available to the dealers and Only the 'rebuilders" got them [ real hard to come by also ] so unless you can get your hands on 1 of those manual's you gotta put a different one in and try it

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
so l was bored sitting here so l took one apart , so unless you know what all 6 wires go'in to the motor do leave it alone

Engineering Gas Machine Titanium Landscape

Circuit component Font Plant Electric blue Electronic instrument

Automotive tire Gauge Gas Measuring instrument Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK looks just like mine, I also took mine apart but do not know what works or what does not work, I am going to swap out the board from the other two and try one at a time, to see if I can get one of those to work. One has 238,000 miles on it and the other has 203,000 miles.

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
there ARE rebuilder places that fix them , l place l,ve used for 40 yrs is " united radio" near Albany NY [ this was the place we sent all our dealership repair stuff to get fixed ]

Reactions: jcm3

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank You for the info, Will try swapping out the complete speedometer heads first, if one works, then swap that board onto my original speedometer, after that it is above my pay grade, will have to send it out for repair.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts