Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Dodge Ram w150 with the 318 magnum. Transfer case is acting weird so my end goal is to rebuild one. It has the np241d. I also have a 1988 dodge ram charger with the la 318. It has a np241d1. They both have 272 ratio. The np241d1 is mounted to a what I assume tf727. The np241d is on a 5 speed manual. Not sure what the name of it is. My question is are the np241d and the np241d1 the same thing? Any info help

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm only aware of a single version of the 241 for a pre-94 dodge. How about rebuild kit listings? Are they the same?

·
Super Moderator
29,755 Posts
They should swap, but they are pretty easy and fun to rebuild. Just have a jar of Vaseline handy to hold all the needle bearings.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I’m not sure to be honest. When I look up the np241d1 nothing comes up. I just don’t know if there’s a difference.
I mean lookup a kit an '88 tcase, and a '92 tcase. (Obviously not the iron np205 tcase).

The 'D1' is new to me.... I have J (jeep), a D version like you, DLD and DHD (94-95 dodge).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O
They should swap, but they are pretty easy and fun to rebuild. Just have a jar of Vaseline handy to hold all the needle bearings.
Okay thanks for the info. It’s just a little confusing. All of my knowledge is off of YouTube because I’m not in highschool yet so I can’t take any automotive classes.

·
Super Moderator
29,755 Posts
The NP241 change the input a bit in '89-'90. Might be related to the switch to OD transmissions, but I don't think I have heard of anyone having issues using the older version. The earlier NP208 does not work with an OD automatic.

·
Administrator
61,877 Posts
The NP241 change the input a bit in '89-'90. Might be related to the switch to OD transmissions, but I don't think I have heard of anyone having issues using the older version. The earlier NP208 does not work with an OD automatic.
Agreed.
Disagree, I have never seen any aluminum case piece of equipment have individual needle bearings. You would need to press a steel sleeve in the bore for the bearings to ride on, bu that time you may as well use a full bearing.

Nothing talks about the D1. Rebuild kits go for the np241 and np241d and the year goes from 88-92
I also have never heard of a D1. FYI, the kits for the 241 generally have seals and bushings, for chevy dodge, or ford. A 241D kit will just be dodge specific. BUT, do your homework, not all kits are the same, This is not a place to skimp. At a minimum, you want to replace all the bearings, and seals.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Nothing talks about the D1. Rebuild kits go for the np241 and np241d and the year goes from 88-92
Imho, ignore the 1 and stick with the year, np241, and dodge.

The other relevant descriptor used is the Assy #; 4338 250 on yours. That # is the only way I can reference which 'DHD' version I have of 3 possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed.

Disagree, I have never seen any aluminum case piece of equipment have individual needle bearings. You would need to press a steel sleeve in the bore for the bearings to ride on, bu that time you may as well use a full bearing.

I also have never heard of a D1. FYI, the kits for the 241 generally have seals and bushings, for chevy dodge, or ford. A 241D kit will just be dodge specific. BUT, do your homework, not all kits are the same, This is not a place to skimp. At a minimum, you want to replace all the bearings, and seals.
Will do. Is there anything I really need to worry about when rebuilding a transfer case other than bearing and seals?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Thanks for the that. If I got to buy a rebuild kit, I just need to buy a np241d kit?
That's what I would do. I should probably get one for my '90 now that we're talking about it...

·
Super Moderator
29,755 Posts
That's how the NP208 is done, 120 individual and loose needle bearings. I assumed the NP241 was the same from that era. I have only rebuilt NV241s from the BR series. W series NP241s I just sold and swapped in a NP205.

·
Administrator
61,877 Posts
That's how the NP208 is done, 120 individual and loose needle bearings. I assumed the NP241 was the same from that era. I have only rebuilt NV241s from the BR series. W series NP241s I just sold and swapped in a NP205.
The 203 is. The only place on a 208, would be the pilot bearing in the input shaft, otherwise the 208 has to be bearings. or inserts, you cannot run needle bearings on aluminum. I'm surprised they made the 203 with needles, by the 70's many other things were beyond using them.

·
Super Moderator
29,755 Posts
It's the drive for the chain that uses the needle bearings, so no insert. The shaft is one race, the ID of the sprocket is the outer. Two rows of 60 individual needle bearings. Seems that they went to a chaged needle bearing assembly for the NP241 and NV241.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts