Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is what I can tell you. 92 magnum engine, cranks but no spark. Doesn’t have constant power at the coil. No power at the fuel pump. When I got it the ASD relay was missing so I put one in to try and as soon as I turned the key on the fusible link burned. It’s got a new cap and rotor, new coil, and new fuel pump and sending unit right now. I’m just losing patience with this wiring. Nothing seems to be cut or messed with. It’s got 74k miles on it but did sit a while before I got it. Anyone have some direction as to where a good place to check would be or have ideas as to what’s wrong?

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
There's likely a short somewhere if it immediately blew a link. You'll need a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to walk away from it for a little while, I was planning to unplug the harness that goes back along the frame and try it again to see if I can narrow down where the issue is before tearing into it. Wiring issues are so frustrating

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
just know that that system is controlled by the computer applying the ground TO trigger the relays , the coil and fuel pump will be powered for ONLY a few seconds when first keyed "on" , UNLESS the computer "see's"  engine cranking FROM the crank sensor and dizzy ( cam sensor ) and sends the ground To Trigger the relays ...

(think back arseward)  ground = "on" ...  Do you have wire diagrams ? I have for '93 , which should be about the same ... so if there is an area let me know ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I unplugged the harness for the rear along the frame and tried. It’s burning the one ground that’s on the firewall in the engine bay and the orange 20 ga fusible link. It only does this if the ASD relay is plugged in. If I take that relay out it doesn’t do it. If you have a wiring diagram I can try to go over it and see if I can track anything down. As soon as I turn the key on that wire gets red hot. I’ll take any help
I can get

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
your sure your inserting a relay in the asd socket and not the diagnostic port ? remember our trucks obd1 port was NOT in the cab like obd2 is required to be ... the diagrams are page by page , so there is no 1 BIG picture of everything .... but here is some in the asd area  knowing the main circut I.D. letters will help so I posted that ..

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.