Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just picked up this '91 W150 (318 Auto).

It's a rust free truck from Montgomery County Alabama, and was used as a county search & rescue vehicle.

Runs, drives, and the 4wd works. Definitely needs some front end work, and interior stuff, but the biggest thing is, it is 100 percent rust free, top and bottom. Here in Illinois that's huge.

Plans are to get it mechanically up to par, then start on the cosmetics and interior stuff.

Hit the junkyard the other day. Needed a Transfer case shift knob and a passenger mirror. Found a 92 Ramcharger that donated both. This and the 87 were crusty messes. Oh and the 92 had a bunch of bullet holes! lol

Then had to go back to Wenona Illinois to pick up the truck on sunday. Started off by bypassing the heater core, and filling up before leaving town. Found a bird's nest too lol. Had about a 2.5hr drive back to Chicago, as we stayed off the interstates for the most part.

Ran pretty good, especially as the old fuel was used up. Was able to cruise at 60-70 comfortably. Front end is definitely loose, and she's gonna be quite a project, but it's very solid.

This is how the paint looked before a wash, and 2 step correction

During/After

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Starting with good solid bones is a good place to be. Nice looking truck. I wish there were wrecking yards up here that still had ramchargers. Going out on a hunt this weekend to find parts for mine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a massive fuel leak at the filter. Fixed that today, after a gasoline bath lol

George

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
plug the hole where the spotlight went thru the windshield post , rain / water will wet your underdash electrics .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a replacement spotlight going in hopefully tomorrow.

She's quite a ways from terrorizing the city streets yet anyways, lol! Staying in the garage for now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Attempted to change the oil Sunday. What a mess.

Someone at some point, seemed to have he-manned the drain plug in and rouned the head off. The oil filter was also cranked down.

After careful drilling, tapping with a chisel, drilling and tapping etc etc I finally got the old bolt out. Took hours.

Cleaned up the threads, and installed a new plug. Got the old Fram that was welded on off, and installed a new motorcraft filter. Used Castrol Edge 10W-30 for a fill this time.

George

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a bunch.  Absolutely love your truck, and I will keep this updated!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Wow nice job in bringing the shine back!  How awesome is it to have a vehicle that you can be sitting down while working on the engine? 

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice find and she cleaned up nicely.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its definitely nice to have room! My other vehicle is a Turbodiesel VW Golf, little tight!

Yeah the paint came out amazing all things considered. Very happy with my results.

Thanks again for the encouraging words, still a huge amount of work to be done, but there is progress.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Georges1991 said:
I have a replacement spotlight going in hopefully tomorrow.

She's quite a ways from terrorizing the city streets yet anyways, lol! Staying in the garage for now.
What model and P/N of light are you putting in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wilsonphil said:
What model and P/N of light are you putting in.
I have to take a look. Gonna need to use a different bracket, but it's off a Chicago Squad car (don't ask lol) 98-11 Crown Victoria

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
With my knees... the problem is getting them up there. ;D
LOL. I built a scaffolding around mine. Much easier to get in the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.