Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Ramcharger, 318, fuel injected, 2wd, 4 speed overdrive trans. I want to improve the performance (Horsepower, Handling, etc...). I am having trouble finding performance parts such as computer upgrade, intake manifold, transmission upgrades or anything of the like. I am wanting to end up with a street/highway machine not a quarter mile racer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
the transmission is a A518 and easily upgraded with torque converters Trans-Go shift kits shifters kick down levers clutches and almost anything you see listed for 727s. not all parts are interchangeable but they are made.

JET makes a programmer for the 91 model i do believe.

there are certain smaller cam shafts compatible with the TBI computer. the intakes gotta stay.

k&n makes a filter.

several companies make headers and exhaust kits. (your local muffler shop also has muffler kits dual and larger single)

there are many mods for suspension listed in the lowering thread in the tech board. some mods include springs bushings sway bars and more fabricated ideas.

if ya want some more power get some heads off a 92-up 318. that will require slight fabrication and a new intake but much more power. magnum heads are some of best regular production. but you can do work to your heads if you want to get that indepth.

G

·
A lot depends on whether you have emissions to deal with. Back then ('91) the only real hop-ups for your model would be the 360 top-end (heads, intake, TBI, PCM).
As for Magnum heads, you can go one of two ways. Have them drilled to accept the LA-style intake, or go with a Magnum intake. If you go Magnum, the TBI will not bolt on unless you come up with a custom adapter (your TBI has a bolt-offset, not the squarebore pattern). Will you use an aftermarket Holley TBI kit, or will you be going to a carb application? And then there's the Magnum induction swap and grafting of the PCM....but that's a lot more involved.
A&A Transmissions, JVX/Memphis Performance, and these guys:http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm
can definitely fix you up on the tranny issues.
Cams: Most of the recognized cam cutters have a choice or two for the stock set-ups, and a couple more if you have computer/TBI upgrades. Comp Cams has a nice "OEM replacement" cam that works with all stock setups, meaning the fuel and computer systems. You will need better valve springs due to the increased lift.
Don't be put off by what appear to be modest offerings. The 318 has such modest cam specs, nearly anything really wakes it up.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swinehart and gen1dak, thanks for the info. swinehart you read my mind when you mentioned lowering the suspension.

gen1dak, I will be staying with the TBI for fuel economy.

I knew someone here would shed some light on the subject. If anyone else has any further info to share, all is welcome.

Again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i heard from a few people with tbi systems most dodge dealerships will upgrade the stock computer or some companies will also just have to ask around ik when i got my 88 dodge it had a 318 with tbi and i had to clean the computer and someone had added a chip to it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts