Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Hopefully this question is in the right place, if not, my apologies.

I have a 91 ram d-250 with a TBI 360.

What are most doing to upgrade this engine while removing all of the emissions?
I’ve read prior posts of people using the 727-518 kit to eliminate the computer from controlling the trans.
Is it worth keeping the TBI?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There is not really too much you can do to improve the TBI system assuming it is working properly. The best you can do is install a fresh set of spark plugs/wires and distributor cap and rotor. Ignition timing can be bumped up a few degrees over stock as long as it is there is no detonation... dual exhaust pipes make it sound faster  ;D

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the TBI system is running well, it's hard to argue with keeping it.  It's not a performance monster but it's very reliable.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't want the computer to control the transmission either. 

If you want more power, it's pretty much going to mean removing the intake to go to a 4bbl system, and then you're going to be looking for free flowing exhaust, then all of a sudden you're thinking about larger port heads, before you know it, you're mainlining on drag strip time slips.  It's a dangerous road...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Possibly just change the gearing...my old 4.7 ram would do a wheelie with 4.56s.  The tbi setup is pretty low maintenance and reliable.  Cats, egr, ....emissions doesn't really take that much power away with those motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.