Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So begins my latest Motor Parts Corporation adventure. As I have mentioned, I have been looking for a good Ramcharger to tinker with for a long time. This thread will be to document repairs, mods, and the general shenanigans involved with fixing up an old truck on a family budget. So, let’s start- a week ago, I bought my 1990 Ramcharger from an older lady whose husband had passed away. I received with it a Manila folder 2” thick with parts receipts, repair invoices, and other information related to the care and feeding of this particular truck. It’s got 165k on the clock, and the PO  had a new shortblock installed at 160k. The first thing I did after driving it home was replace the missing thermostat. It warms up now, and with winter on the way, that’s a nice thing. So far, I’ve begun compiling a list of things that need done.

In no particular order (except 1 &1a)-
#1- tires. Dry rot is bad, and I don’t like it.
#1a- find the squeak in my engine and deal with it.
#2- shocks. Don’t like riding in a boat either.
#3- Plugs, wires, dizzy cap and general ignition system health. Plug wires definitely have some voltage leaks, especially if you touch them while it’s idling.
#4- steering mods. Factory coupling is garbage. ‘Nuff said.
#5- reliability and driveability mods as needed, so for I can wheel more better... item #5 includes such various things as stereo replacement and interior restoration all the way to drivetrain upgrades and fabricating armor...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Georges1991 said:
We need pictures!
I'll gladly oblige, just as soon as I have a bit of time. Right now, she's not terribly impressive, but give me some time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, she's a bit rough around the edges, but she's got good bones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jungle said:
That nose & wheel look like a 85ish RC.
Jim
I agree. The build plate on the door is dated June 1990. I suspect the grille and wheels may be from an earlier truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jungle said:
What does the steering wheel look like?
Just like this one, only in better shape-


She also has power windows, door locks, and mirrors. VIN code Z, so it's got a 360, and it has the A518 with the OD switch next to the message center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t mind one bit. I like the look of the ‘85 grilles.

Up next- Recon goes in search of cheap tires!

;D ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My factory center console is now gone, off with a good friend to be measured and used as a template for a new one. He’s a cabinetmaker, and I’m excited to see what he comes up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tires that came with my Ramcharger were cracking and dry rotted. I’m not surprised; the sidewalls said 30 x 9.50-15...
Found a set of Cooper Discoverer A/Ts for $74 a tire, plus mounting and balancing for $56. Got out of the tire shop for just a touch under $400, and the tires have a 60k treadlife. You’ll all be pleased to know the white letters were mounted facing out, as The Mopar gods decreed. I’ll post pics tomorrow, they’re pretty normal as far as tires go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Woo hoo!!!! Tires!!!

There's something that's just... right, about turbines and white lettered tires.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Georges1991 said:
Absolutely! Best look in my opinion!
Thanks!

In other news, I'm currently looking for a Dodge hood emblem, and a transmission manual for the A-518/46RH. If anybody has such a critter, please let me know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,500 Posts
1990 was the last year for the aluminum surround grill , plastic started in 1991 .... parts for 86-90 are available from LMC BUT not the aluminum surround .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dodge82273 said:
1990 was the last year for the aluminum surround grill , plastic started in 1991 .... parts for 86-90 are available from LMC BUT not the aluminum surround .
Luckily, the aluminum is in pretty good shape, as is the rest of the grille. Still haven't decided what color she needs to be, but it'll come to me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Recon1342 said:
Luckily, the aluminum is in pretty good shape, as is the rest of the grille. Still haven't decided what color she needs to be, but it'll come to me...
those were a neat body style. I had a 81 D150(sorry guys, in '82 put a 396 in it, cut/welded the tailgate to read 'dodge rat') that truck had THE best paint of any vehicle Ive ever owned...waxed up like brand new still in 1993 when I gave the body to a buddy... I was never into brown, but that brown metallic and gold trim really worked for me... had 15x10 gold centered wheels with corvette trim rings, painted the grille inserts gold...brown/gold/chrome...sounds yuck, but I really liked it...
rat2 by tc429, on Flickr

one thing on those 4wd RCs, a good friend had two of them, both had front hub issues... recall he had to have hubs spray welded and rebored as bearings were flopping loose inside... might be something to keep a eye out for- heck, that was back in the early 90's LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ford4v429 said:
those were a neat body style. I had a 81 D150(sorry guys, in '82 put a 396 in it, cut/welded the tailgate to read 'dodge rat') that truck had THE best paint of any vehicle Ive ever owned...waxed up like brand new still in 1993 when I gave the body to a buddy... I was never into brown, but that brown metallic and gold trim really worked for me... had 15x10 gold centered wheels with corvette trim rings, painted the grille inserts gold...brown/gold/chrome...sounds yuck, but I really liked it...
rat2 by tc429, on Flickr

one thing on those 4wd RCs, a good friend had two of them, both had front hub issues... recall he had to have hubs spray welded and rebored as bearings were flopping loose inside... might be something to keep a eye out for- heck, that was back in the early 90's LOL
Nice looking truck, even if it has a chebby engine. I admire the sheer shenanigans involved in the parts swapping that must have involved...
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top