Dodge RamCharger Central banner

1990 Ramcharger 4WD 5.2l 318 - Iron Curtain project

31K views 430 replies 25 participants last post by  Panda 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there, new guy here. My name is Greg and I recently became a proud owner of a 1990 Ramcharger 4WD, 5,2 l.
I decided to share with you some facts on my RC because I like reading your stories.

How it started:

Last Christmas I watched Netflix’s Car Masters: Rust to Riches with my Dad and then it started…
It got to me that I had to get something to work on, to spend more time with my Dad and get hands dirty…Also I need a reason to convince my wife to build a new garage LOL
And so my hunt for an old Dodge pickup began - back then I didn’t even know Ramchargers existed:)

As you all know it’s not easy to find a well preserved classic, and when you’re looking for it in Europe it’s almost impossible:) But as Mom used to say: You’re the luckiest and dumbest child I had, and she is right:) There were 3 RCs available in Poland at the time, two of them were total wrecks, plus a few in Germany(but due to Covid it was hard to travel between countries) and of course there was My Precious :)

I finally bought the car in early January 2021 after a two week search and driving over 1300 miles to check the other two wrecks. I got it from a true car enthusiast, who really loved and cared for it. He’s done an AMAZING job fixing some mechanical issues, cleaning it and holding it for me:) Maybe it’s not perfect yet, but it’s mine and I love it!

Some current photos...

Projects in progress:
finishing the hitch bar mount
sound deadening - mainly for the next project
car audio - adding new speakers and amplifier, factory radio plus a bluetooth module(it needs to be low profile, hidden as if it came straight from the factory, not planning any subwoofers :),
steering coupler fix
sealing minor tranny to shaft leakage

Future projects:
rear side panels restoratio
new floors
new weatherstripping
adding better exhaust system
chroming the rims
tailgate decals
refreshing tire decals
basic visual tunning and detailing
annoying RCC users with questions
but above all sharing plenty of photos

Please pardon all my stupid questions, comments and lack of basic knowlage. Thanks for all the help and good words.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY RC, so does my entire family. Can’t wait to work on it and share it with you guys. RCC rules!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
there are no stupid questions , unless you ask the same ones over and over LOL  nice truck !

#3 ·
Dang that's a nice truck!  {cool}

#4 ·
Good looking rig you scored there!  :eek:

Neil

#9 ·
the project is moving forward on quarantine :)

Just finished the hitch receiver mount install.
Everything sandblasted and powder coated. New screws and washers.

Can't decide if I like it better with or without the RAM hitch cover…

Attachments

#22 ·
Door sound deadening effect

I'm officially a YouTuber now LOL

make absolutely sure that the bottom door drain holes are NOT plugged with sound deadner , there are 2 or 3 of them / they will fill with water and rot them out quick

Reactions: Panda
#11 ·
Panda said:
the project is moving forward on quarantine :)

Just finished the hitch receiver mount install.
Everything sandblasted and powder coated. New screws and washers.

Can't decide if I like it better with or without the RAM hitch cover…
I like both but I aim for a rugged look on my RC. In my opinion, less is sometimes better!
Beautiful truck man. I should have picked my RC up from Europe lol.

#14 · (Edited)
Dick_Z said:
Nice truck! Do you have any idea of the history of the car?
I think I have pretty much: Auto check report, sale docs, and photos from every stage(purchase, harbor US, harbour DE, customs PL).

I know it was purchased in Seattle, WA in 1990 because first data comes from there.
From 1996 to 2018 it was in Tucoma, WA less then 40 miles from Seattle. Since its not far I can guess it was the same owner that moved or there were two in the US.

All this info is based on State agency & Motor vehicle department. All I have is emission inspection and registration renewal with odometer readings. No accident record, no theft record. Odometer readings seem to be a bit odd, looks like someone changed odometer or more likely crooked it. This means that the RC might have had more owners.

Adding the raport in attachment. Maybe you guys can get more out of it.

#15 · (Edited)
My driver's side armrest was heavily worn-out and spongy in some places. I removed it and the rear mounting plate was literally in pieces.

I removed the old filling, glued it(in at least 10 steps) and injected with some low expansion spray foam. Unfortunately the foam became rock solid, it looks nice but..

One piece of advice for someone who’s going to do the same, if you wanna keep your armrest nice and soft - use some soft filling mounting foam(check first how it feels) but don’t inject too much of it.

#16 ·
Nice car! One of the last 20.000 thousands built. And a lot of details to improve, good job! The inside door of a '90 RC looks 20 years younger than one from my 84.

My car has also run all of its US life in Seattle area. I was surprised there is almost no (really bad) rust so far in the North. But at least as you stay close to the coast there seems zo be almost no snow, no salt on the roads. My car looks more than a car I expected from Arizona - less rust and roof and hood burned by the sun ("patina" ;)). Your one does not look in this way, maybe a garage car.

#17 ·
Nice car! One of the last 20.000 thousands built. And a lot of details to improve, good job! The inside door of a '90 RC looks 20 years younger than one from my 84.

My car has also run all of its US life in Seattle area. I was surprised there is almost no (really bad) rust so far in the North. But at least as you stay close to the coast there seems zo be almost no snow, no salt on the roads. My car looks more than a car I expected from Arizona - less rust and roof and hood burned by the sun ("patina" ;)). Your one does not look in this way, maybe a garage car.
I found only a few detailed photos of your RC, looks solid :) The two-tone painting is what makes RCs special IMO.

#18 ·
Ramcharger car audio project is officially on the table.

The idea is simple... sound deaden the interior, install a new set of speakers with amp and power it all from the original radio plus add a Bluetooth built-in the harness. Nothing fancy but no ghetto blaster as well.

Front speakers - Hertz cx690 - simple 3 channel 6x9

Rear speakers - Hertz cx570 - simple 2 channel 5x7

Bluetooth module Bury cc9048 - small, easy to use, has everything I need (answering calls, streaming music).

Amplifier - that is the trickiest part. I want to fit the amp inside the front part of the central console, fabricate a wall behind it and add some extra lighter/usb sockets and still be able to use the console as something more than a dumpster. I’ll go with Hertz HCP4 or with a smaller one Audio System X80.4D. It all depends if I can fit all that inside.

Radio - original from the 90’s

The radio harness remains unharmed(except for the BT set) so if I ever wish to change the radio it'll be a simple plug and play.

I’ll test fit it tomorrow...

#19 ·
Original radio is great. I had an aftermarket cassette radio from the 80's in so I had to change it for a Continental retro radio. A good thing is BT, USB & line in are already build in. Looks good but original is better of course. Is there a (original) place for rear speakers? I haven't seen any original place in the rear covers but did not have them out. There is only space for 6x9" down in the front doors that was original for smaller speakers. Doesn't matter, if I need some more noise I'll work on the exhaust systen :)

#21 ·
At mine it looks different: No ash tray, cover made from synthetic leather. Space behind the covers should there be enough for big speakers. If I had it I would also use it. But I won't install it. We don't have often passangaers with us and when they should listen to the V8 sound :)

#24 ·
Christmas came early this year…

Finally, got my parts from the land and off the free…

The biggest score is the "new" central console so I can finally have the beast replaced.

Automotive exterior Car seat cover Material property Tints and shades Personal luxury car

For the Beaty:love:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior

The second good news is that my new amp fits perfectly inside the new cosole

Brown Camera lens Rectangle Reflex camera Camera accessory

#25 ·
Your new one looks like the the one we have. Is it orignal 1990? Our one was not fixed in the car and we so we removed it. The only thing we miss are the cupholder. I would think about in investing in some carpet. The car looks much nicer with it: Molded Carpet ... Fits and Looks Like Original

#26 ·
Your new one looks like the the one we have. Is it orignal 1990? Our one was not fixed in the car and we so we removed it. The only thing we miss are the cupholder. I would think about in investing in some carpet. The car looks much nicer with it: Molded Carpet ... Fits and Looks Like Original
The central console is from the 90s.

With deeper cup holders.

The new carpets and floor mats arrived with the console yesterday LOL

#27 · (Edited)
The only thing is that I bought a set of 4 floor mats, 2 front embroidered were delivered but the two rear weren't.

First I had them shipped to Illinois, where all orders from different sources were packed together and then shipped to Poland.

The order for the mats was placed on January 15th and I wrote my complaint yesterday... Rockauto only informed me that they'll send it again and gave me a tracking number. That's what I call customer service!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.