Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,411 Posts
If I see it correct the hole in the rim is too big. That's bad because the rim is only held by the screws.
They are lug centered rims, not hub centered. The center hole is not used.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
These ones could work for you: 4 Stainless Steel Center Cap Push Thru 2 Close 2 Open For 4.25" Center Bore | eBay
4,25 inch is easier to find than 3,54 for mine
you're right but I have to buy the rims first :) If I go with the rims you sent I'd like the caps to be brushed or machined aluminium, they'll fit the rims better IMO. Or I'll buy heavy artillery and go for a unicorn hunt

I noticed at your new rims they've mounted balance weights on the outside.
1619671718257.png
It was always a starting point of corrosion for me.
Here's how you can have it done in any good tire shop, they are mounted on double-sided tape on the inside of the rims..
1619671576449.png
I use it on my other cars. IMO it looks way better and cleaner.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I asked my tyre dealer the same question. He said it is not possible to have the weights only inside. The rim is small compared to the total wheel and so the lever is too small. If he would only put weights inside these weights would be really, really big. I checked some other offroad cars and also found weights outside and inside. Maybe it is also a question of the balance of the rim - better ones maybe do not have this problem. Of course on a typical street car tyre you don't have any weights outside. So I also don't like it but it seems I have to accept it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I called a friend of mine who runs a tire shop.

He said QUOTE: in 99/100 cases it can be done without any problems but many shops say it's impossible because they are lazy :) Some even say that if the rim has an outside edge designed for the weights they have to mount them there. It's BS, now we have 2021 not 1981, everything is possible :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
We should bring our mechanics together for a battle :)

If anyone will ask me about I'll say it's doubled price because the two weights. And it is needed for masculine offroad driving, a car like a X5 has no use for it ;)

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
LOL you fellas are funny , if I put a 1/2 oz on 2 edges of a rim , or I put 1 oz in the middle of a rim ......... THE problem with the dodge wheels pictured is that one must use a THIN glue on center weight or it hits the brake caliper ..... If I use the clip on edge weights , most are NOT made for the thicker aluminum rims edge, and fall off / look like shit / mess up the rim .... todays spin balancers should be able to "test" the "finnished" job to whatever speed you will drive "at" .... tires .. if the side walls are out of ballance , differently side to side , edge weights work better . If the tread has a heavier spot , then the center weights would work , the best thing to do is BUY well made tires in the first place . For years manufactures reps from Firestone told me that just because the work truck had some bulges in side walls they were ok , but taking them for a drive , having the tires go thump thump thump down the road they changed their opinion . ( major companys test tires 3 ways , 1 in house 2 sold to government and followed by the reps , 3 sold to the public .... I was at a government shop ) Thumping is a bad tire or design / manufacture .... unevenly overlapped belts makes uneven sidewall flex , tire effectively out of round in operation , does NOT show up on a ballancer because there is no weight load on tire ... what I do today is tell the tire shop I'm buying from that if I can hear them thump , I'm bringing them back and they are changing them for a different brand/style .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
LOL you fellas are funny
I'm really glad we made you laugh, it shows we have a good sense of humour LOL
Now our mechanics will have to fight you too;) I suggest picking neutral ground, MMA octagona, strings and jelly, it'll make the the fight funnier to watch:LOL:

... what I do today is tell the tire shop I'm buying from that if I can hear them thump , I'm bringing them back and they are changing them for a different brand/style
Done with the jokes... Thanks for the tires tip, it's really good(y) what brand and size do you use?

·
Registered
309 Posts
My tires are no names but only 5 year old and still maybe 80% of the profile. That's why I did not change them for the new rims. Next ones will be better ones, maybe Coopers or BfGoodrich. Will check some picture from the 80ies before buying to see which brands were popolar at that time.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
I have both 1/2 and 3/4 ton ( and the 6 tire ton) so they are 15's and 16's in 15 I have been using coopers , but the 16 I use BF goodrich , in a commercial steer axle style . expensive . they are NOT available in 15 , just 16 ,good tire, 17.5 ( low pros , bad wear ) and 19.5 good tire, and 22.5's semi tire ...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I have both 1/2 and 3/4 ton ( and the 6 tire ton) so they are 15's and 16's in 15 I have been using coopers , but the 16 I use BF goodrich , in a commercial steer axle style . expensive . they are NOT available in 15 , just 16 ,good tire, 17.5 ( low pros , bad wear ) and 19.5 good tire, and 22.5's semi tire ...
Just out of curiosity... Did they make original 16" rims for the RC?

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
O.K. first I misspoke , I ment to say Bridgestone not Bf goodrich , The 1/2 ton chassis RC did not come with 16's BUT yes you can buy 16 inch wheels with 5 lugs rather than the 8 on the 3/4 tons , while the tire to body distance is the same between the light duty dana 44 fronts of both the 3/4 light duty and the R/C both use the d44 axle and 3 springs , just different 5 or 8 lug, hubs and brakes their web site will not allow you to easily find these tires , sends you to passenger car tires...but they are 235/85/r16's Duravis R238 tread style

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
tires do not rub at any time and I have funky home made running boards/fender flaps ..

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
dodge82273 - The tires you're using 235/85 R16 have the same size as 32 12,5 R15 from BF Goodrich I'm planning to get. Many users recommend that size, just like you said no rubbing and good, smooth riding, so I'll simply stick to their and your experience.

Albuchler - are yours all season or winter/summer? Mine are Yokohama geolandar AT all season tires... not perfect for snow and ice with only 2WD but none are when your rear is that light. However with 4WD they are a dream, i tested them in the woods with 40cm/13" of snow and had absolutely no problems.
I'll probably keep them for winter and use the big balloons BFGs for summer cruises.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My tires are 30,5x9,5x15 and only useable in summer. Don't know if they are maybe all season but I won't use any Indonesian no name tires here in the mountains in winter. The profile is for street but they are also OK for the "off road driving" I do. Some weeks ago I had a small trailer (600Kg) and was able to drive a little bit uphill on wet grass (4x4 was needed). Next tires will be maybe a little bit more offroad.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
you will both find that with open differential in rear wet grass requires 4x4 no matter how much you tear up with knobbie tires .some type of clutch rear ( limited slip system) OR a lunch box locker in the rear differential . Bf Goodrich ... eh the ones I pictured are the summer tires , I run SNOW tires that size with studs in winter ( not "all terrain" 8 ply car tires) the truck that snow plows my driveway has 4 snow tires , rear tire chains with ICE bars , a lunch box locker( 8 years so far not broke), and a bed FULL of 8"foot oak logs for weight . It stays in 4x4 LOW and I hold it to 2 and gear . Slow and easy keep me from breaking things :) only takes 2 hours each time ....

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
12.5 wide tires are wider than mine

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
you will both find that with open differential in rear wet grass requires 4x4 no matter how much you tear up with knobbie tires .some type of clutch rear ( limited slip system) OR a lunch box locker in the rear differential . Bf Goodrich ... eh the ones I pictured are the summer tires , I run SNOW tires that size with studs in winter ( not "all terrain" 8 ply car tires) the truck that snow plows my driveway has 4 snow tires , rear tire chains with ICE bars , a lunch box locker( 8 years so far not broke), and a bed FULL of 8"foot oak logs for weight . It stays in 4x4 LOW and I hold it to 2 and gear . Slow and easy keep me from breaking things :) only takes 2 hours each time ....
I'd really like to see that in action (y)Post a video in the winter if you can

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
I found the original 1990 rim caps on ebay

that should work with these "original" replacement rims from wheelsamerica

the question is, how do they attach to the rims? some kind of clips? Is it safely attached or do they fall off on bumps?
are they worth the money or do you recommend using other caps?

61 - 80 of 88 Posts