Dodge RamCharger Central banner
181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
At least in the '84 there is no warning lamp in the dash. Your one looks a bit different - there seems to be 3 lamps on your foto, the 84 has only 2 in each outer gauge.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
You may be right. I found this photo online and there seems to be no fuel lamp.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The lights for the flashers are more outside at an 84. And where the belt warning lamp is I have the one for the parking brake. Belt warning was accoustic only, somebody removed it. Don't you have a warning lamp for the parking brake?

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Sorry, it is old school, no light, good thing you did not wait fo it to come on longer. Until 90, it was either an oil light or gauge, Yours has both. Otherwise everything on the dash is only one, gauge or light.

Reactions: Lzed and Panda

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Thanks. I waited, waited, waited and really wanted the light to turn ON... Good to know, now I won't be going so close to completely dry ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have also an oil light and a gauge. The place for the light ist just empty. I'll set it up when the new oil pressure switch will arrive. I don't like it there is no light when I turn on ignition.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 · (Edited)
I have also an oil light and a gauge. The place for the light ist just empty. I'll set it up when the new oil pressure switch will arrive. I don't like it there is no light when I turn on ignition.
You can replace all the old dashboard bulbs with LEDs at the same time. That's already on my winter to do list.
The warning lights are OK, because there's a color that makes them stand out more but gauges lighting sucks full time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't see any advantage on LEDs instead of bulbs. So I keep it light it is.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I don't see any advantage on LEDs instead of bulbs. So I keep it light it is.
LED's are cool... literally. Very little heat emitted.
They don't draw any power compared to the heated filaments inside standard bulbs.
And they tend to be brighter from the start. So if you get dimmable LED's, you can actually adjust them down some. Compared to standard bulbs which you need to run on high all the time... and they still aren't bright enough.
I love LED's!

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Yes, there is a place for an oil bulb, but you cannot run both. The wiring is set up for one or the other. Put a light in the hole, and it shorts over the gauge, so you will not get anything.

The 90 and later oil gauges do have both. But the cheap sender they used, the side for the light tends to fail, giving false triggers of the light.

I plan to run wires from the oil switch, and just run a small red 12v LED that pops into a hole, and mount it on the oil gauge dial. Just simple ones like these, and simple wiring, 12 volt one side, and switch and ground the other. One of these days.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, there is a place for an oil bulb, but you cannot run both. The wiring is set up for one or the other. Put a light in the hole, and it shorts over the gauge, so you will not get anything.
I'll use another oil pressure switch and separate cable that goes from there to the empty bulb place. So I'll have both systems - gauge + bulb - working independent from each other.

·
Registered
353 Posts
LED's are cool... literally. Very little heat emitted.
They don't draw any power compared to the heated filaments inside standard bulbs.
And they tend to be brighter from the start. So if you get dimmable LED's, you can actually adjust them down some. Compared to standard bulbs which you need to run on high all the time... and they still aren't bright enough.
I love LED's!
Yes, of course you are right. I also love LEDs in modern cars. But I won't put them in an oldtimer car. I have to accept my new radio has some. There is no other opportunity if I want a radio. Most bulbs in the dash work only when the light is on. I drive only in summer, almost no lights. If they are off LED's have no advantages compared to bulbs ;)

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
I'll use another oil pressure switch and separate cable that goes from there to the empty bulb place. So I'll have both systems - gauge + bulb - working independent from each other.
You will need to modify the traces where the bulb is so as not to short the two systems. Also, the oil gauge is not translucent like the later gauges with both.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
Yes, of course you are right. I also love LEDs in modern cars. But I won't put them in an oldtimer car. I have to accept my new radio has some. There is no other opportunity if I want a radio. Most bulbs in the dash work only when the light is on. I drive only in summer, almost no lights. If they are off LED's have no advantages compared to bulbs ;)
You won't notice any difference after replacing regular bulbs for LEDs(talking about warm color, IMO only these fit the style of our RCs), except for the pros that Kurt mentioned. They are hidden behind the dash and the only visible effect is gauges lighting but if you're not driving after dark then it's ok to use the filament bulbs. We have to drive with lights on all the time, even in the daytime so replacing them is kind of necessary.
I watched this guy's video, he used blue LEDs which l hate but the idea remains the same.

He's also got some simple DIY projects for old RAMs explained on his channel.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, I know this video and I thougtht about doing the same because the instrument panel illumination was not very bright in my car. Then I found I can bright it up by turning the headlight switch :D

Call it nostalgic but I want to keep it like it was in 1984.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You will need to modify the traces where the bulb is so as not to short the two systems. Also, the oil gauge is not translucent like the later gauges with both.
I'll have two completely independet oil pressure systems - gauge and light. I think that should work and not cause any issues.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Then I found I can bright it up by turning the headlight switch :D
What? I had no idea you could do that o_O
I'll give it a try in a few days because now my car is at my friend's shop with the transmission, 4WD, and shifts out :) I'm finally sealing the connection between engine and trans.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
What? I had no idea you could do that o_O
I'll give it a try in a few days because now my car is at my friend's shop with the transmission, 4WD, and shifts out :) I'm finally sealing the connection between engine and trans.
It's the dimmer switch for crying out loud! ;D

·
Registered
353 Posts
LED’s usually last longer
That's true - usually ;) I drive 500 miles per year so it doesn't matter. I don't think I'll ever have to exchange a bulb in the dash.

Reactions: Panda and Lzed
181 - 200 of 215 Posts