Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was walking thru the pull n save the other day...

It looks like a d60, but...

I can't see any sign of a d60 or anything else stamped on the diff.  There was a set of numbers on one fin.  They were 2080A.

Took some cleaning, but I found a set of numbers stamped on the axle tube, but they were not anything like what I expected.  They are L29HN 55 C2 5 4NA.

Pulled the VIN... it doesn't tell me anything either, just confirms what truck it was. Door tag on the vehicle indicated 7500 GVWR

It has 10 bolts on the cover... surprise surprise.. ratio tag still on it 4:10 gears.  Cover is the size and shape of a d60 cover.  It is 8 lug FF. 

Weird thing... it has some sort of electrical sensor plug in the top of the diff.

Any ideas? 

·
7,250 Posts
Its a dana 60. The electrical plug is for the speed sensor. If your rig doesn't need it, don't worry about it.

Chris

·
Administrator
60,461 Posts
wycowboy said:
Its a dana 60. The electrical plug is for the speed sensor. If your rig doesn't need it, don't worry about it.

Chris
If its a 90, the plug would be for ABS. otherwise, yes it's a D60, and if you don't need the ABS, don't worry about the wires, just cut them off, but leave the sensor bolted in place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I took some tools with me and tried to clean things up a bit more.  Pulled the cover too.  Still haven't found a normal looking BOM,  but yeah, its a 60.  Weird seeing that tone ring inside the pumpkin. 

Last odd surprise was that I noticed a huge difference in size of the wheel studs on this axle compared to the studs on the Chevy SRW K30 Front D60 I just finished rebuilding.  The studs on this 3/4 ton Dodge Rear D60 are tiny compared to the 1 ton chevy front or the rear 14b that came with it. 

I have the 14b mate to the Chevy D60 front.  It was a package deal with the front and was basically free.  It is massive.  I'm thinking of grabbing this D60 rear because the 14B is much older and will require much more effort to get it in working order and mounted under my RC. 

I don't have access to a welder and I would hate to have to bring my rig and axle to a shop so they could set my pinion and weld my perches & shock tabs where using the Dodge D60... it is just a bolt on deal.

hmmmmm.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts