Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.  I don't post very often and am more of a lurker I guess but here's my question:

I have a question about play in the rear diff.  I have an 89 4x4 318 auto with limited slip differential.  When I grab the left rear wheel (while it's on jacks) I can move the axle in and out about 1/4".  What would cause this?  Truck has about 146000 km's on it.

I've read a lot of comments on here about steering issues.  I replaced my steering box last week and man what a difference.  The input shaft seal was leaking and I couldn't get the nut off the shaft so I said screw it and changed the box.  Now no more leaks and the steering is great.  I'm glad I changed the whole box instead of just fixing the input seal.

Thanks for any advice on the diff!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Endplay in the axle shaft itself would be caused by wear to any one, all or any combination of the following parts, the cross shaft, the C-clip, the side gear and/or the groove in the end of the axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What physically holds the left rear axle in place?  Is it just a c-clip inside the housing?
I haven't taken it apart yet but will probably pull the cover off this weekend to see what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Basically it is retained by a C-clip, but how far it "sinks" into the housing is restricted by the cross shaft that the spider gears ride on.  To take the axles out you jack it up and support the rear axle with jack stands, pull the wheels and brake drums, remove the cover and drain the fluid, rotate the differential until you can see the hex head on the pin that retains the cross shaft on the end of the diff opposite the ring gear and remove it, then slide the cross shaft out, push in on the axles at the wheel flange, go back to the diff and remove the C-clips from the end of the shafts and carefully slide the shafts out to not damage the axle seal at the end of the housing.

The cross shaft should be perfectly cylindrical with a few shiny spots from wear and the C-clip should fit in the axle groove with minimal play.  I'll see if I can come up with a pic off the assembly...

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts

·
29,540 Posts
My RC has about the same amount of endplay. Always has. I wouldn't worry about it, I suspect it's normal.....but since I didn't buy it new, I can't say for sure.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
The few that I have paid attention to seemed to have less, maybe a 1/8" play at the most but I have never seen an end play measurement listed anywhere.  The one 9 1/4" truck we had in the dealership that I remember with axle end play issues ended up getting the side gears, C-clips and cross shaft replaced and the mechanic of 30 years still wasn't happy about it but the customer didn't want to spring for new shafts.  Once again I am very happy with my D60s, lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
the 9 1/4 that i have in my 79 1/2 ton dodge has almost no end play at all im talking 1/16 " or less its barely noticable and it has 220,000 miles on it over 130,000 are from me so im pretty sure its never been rebuilt the pinion on tne other hand when the truck is on all 4 wheels with the driveshaft pulled i can turn the pinion flange almost an inch :eek: it needs rebuilt i used it as a farm truck hauling pulling and just about anything you can imagine i had scale tickets that showed total wheights of almost 19,000lbs that was 2,000 in the bed and the rest was the trailer and load on the trailer .  Thats why i only drive dodge pickups i had a chevy and ford graveyard at one point that were all broke doing half the work the dodge did and did before i had them and after i got rid of them i kept the dodge because it never broke and never let me down .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts