Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My `89 Ramcharger has recently started acting up...Very rough idle and running probs. I checked the EGR and found it to be almost completely plugged as well as the intake port...Cleaned up both and re-installed. Prob. still there... I checked my inj. and found one to be spraying and dripping at the same time...I had to order this(5 day wait) and will replace it asap. Are there any other suggestions that I should be looking at? Thanks for your help...P.S.- I had been reading another site, when I came across a link to this one...it peoves to be much more informed than any I`ve tried to use...

·
Registered
71 Posts
My '89 had the exact same problem. It turned out to a combo of the EGR going bad (causing a clogged cat), a vaccum leak, and the govenor on the transmission.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Welcome to the site. You might also replace that fuel filter. Your prob could also be in the tank, either the pick-up screen or the pump. I'm assuming you aren't getting any codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay...the only codes are: 12-37-55 are codes I found...I then checked and cleaned the plugs(they were completely black) and went for test drive....they were completely black again after about 10 miles....replaced the plugs and wires....Also I found after returning that a code 52 was set. I jumped the coolant temp. sensor plug and set a code 22 that won`t go away. I don`t know if I messed up something or not.... ??? I am completely lost here... :p

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Well, you can disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and it'll clear the codes. Then you can drive it again and get the codes. The code 55 simply means it's the end of the codes. Code 37 is Torque converter lock-up solenoid. This is a common code and in the case of your truck it is to be ignored, because you don't have a lock-up converter. Code 12 means battery has recently been disconnected. Code 22 is your coolant temp sensor. Code 52 is bad O2 sensor, which would explain your plugs being black. Your computer has switched to Limp-Home mode, making a good guess as to how to make it run.

Pull your batt cable off for a bit, reconnect and drive it. You should get 12, 37, 52, and 55. This will tell you that you need to replace the oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay...I drove after I replaced the coolant temp. sensor and only came up with the 12,37,55 codes. I had the batt. disconnected to swap it... I must be missing something...Don`t all O2 sensors run in closed loop?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I dunno if they run in closed loop, I really don't know that much about 'em. However, if it set a code for the O2 sensor, and your plugs were black, that would be a good indication to replace it. The ECM is running it extremely rich to make up for the O2 sensor. Now. This could also be indicative of your coolant temp sensor. There are 2 sensors that monitor temp. One is simply for the gauge. One is to tell the ECM the temp of the engine so it knows to richen the mixture for choke, or to lean it out when it gets warm. So, my next question is: Did ya replace the right one? If the coolant temp sensor is bad, it could be telling the ECM that the engine is running cold, when in fact it's not. So, the ECM runs the fuel rich and never leans it out, causing blackened fouled plugs. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
If you're no longer getting codes, your sensors should be fine. Start looking elsewhere. Like fuel filters, etc. My '88 had a similar prob and the prob lay in the tank with the pump and filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MudFlap said:
If you're no longer getting codes, your sensors should be fine. Start looking elsewhere. Like fuel filters, etc. My '88 had a similar prob and the prob lay in the tank with the pump and filter.
Hey Mudflap..thanks for the reply. Yeah...I got the coolant temp. sensor replaced...front/left of engine...two/wire...I haven`t had the code 52 come back yet....you think I should just go ahead and replace [email protected] sensor anyway?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Is it running better now? If not, I would say check those fuel filters, maybe that pump. If it's running okay now, I wouldn't worry anymore about it. Perhaps your Coolant Temp Sensor was causing it to run rich, which was throwing off the O2 sensor, setting the code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MudFlap said:
Is it running better now? If not, I would say check those fuel filters, maybe that pump. If it's running okay now, I wouldn't worry anymore about it. Perhaps your Coolant Temp Sensor was causing it to run rich, which was throwing off the O2 sensor, setting the code.
Thanks Mudflap....still runs rich(black smoke and a little rough). Gonna try the O2 sensor tomorrow. Will post the results :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Whoa! Whoa! I think you identified the problem why back in the first posts. If the injectors in the tbi are dribbling and spraying at idle AND the plugs are black it's obvious the injectors are allowing too much fuel to enter. This could be caused by deep problems, but it really sounds like you have an injector that is no longer closing all the way. Dirt, age, gummed up fuel, whatever. If the injector is drooling it is not shutting off properly. I got a set of injectors from "injectors4u" on ebay (reconditioned).

Good Luck!!

Bruce

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
low fuel pressure due to plugged filter,bad pump can cause injector pulsewidth to lenghten to a point of a near flooding condition also,but a road test would verify it .sluggish or surging at 60 mph and poor accelleration would warrant a fuel pressure test.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
offroader_dodge said:
low fuel pressure due to plugged filter,bad pump can cause injector pulsewidth to lenghten to a point of a near flooding condition also,but a road test would verify it .sluggish or surging at 60 mph and poor accelleration would warrant a fuel pressure test.
I agree. My fuel pump/strainer were the prob with mine when I went thru all this. Replaced every damn sensor on it tryin to make it run right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts